Sawdust in Bench and Way Tubes

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

allsas
Gold Member

Sawdust in Bench and Way Tubes

Post by allsas »

I noticed that sawdust had accumulated in the Bench Tubes and I didn't want moisture to rust the areas covered by the the sawdust.

I found that one gallon plastic milk jugs had a cap that was close fit to the inside of the tubes. The bottle caps can be pursuaded to fit inside of the tubes with a screwdriver used to push the last part of the cap edge into the tube. The cap is fitted into the top and pushed in with the sctrewdriver blade. The cap can be pushed into the tube, it is a 105% fill and it was a learned process. Originally, I sliced the edge of the caps to encourage the caps to fit. Slicing the edges is NOT necessary. After the cap is pursuaded into the tube, usually with the top on the outer side, the cap is forced in by dropping the end of tube on the floor to press the cap in the rest of the way. Repeat for the other end. Repeat for the other tube(s).

The fitting process will shear some of the bottle cap striations that can be scrapped off.

The caps can be removed by pushing on the middle of the cap with the intention of getting it to fold over in the tube and removing the cap by sliding it out of the tube with the sides of the cap touching the two sides of the tube.

Milk bottle caps come in a variety of colors . The bottle caps of the bench tubes can be seen. The problem is finding eight of the same color and paying for the contents of the milk jugs.