dust chute for lathe

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

curly57
Gold Member

dust chute for lathe

Post by curly57 »

Hi all!! I was just wondering if anyone has come up with a way to catch all of the shavings and dust when using the lathe, with either the tools or when sanding? As I'm sure you know it can be quite the mess. I've tried using a large fan behind me, in front as in exaust, but dust still gets all over the place. Thanks!!!

Happy Woodworking and God Bless!!:D
rcartmetal
Gold Member

Post by rcartmetal »

I just addressed this by purchasing a piece of ducting at H*me D*pot, it has a 4" bit connected to a rectangular box. I hook my dust collector to it after running the hose up though the way tubes, then I pulled the rectangle into a funnel shape. It catches a large proportion of the bigger stuff and most all of the light stuff, like the dust you don't want. It sits on the tubes and doesn't get in the way.
HTH!
Spike from PDX
I like hand tools, too!
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This issue is one I have been thinking about for the last while so I would like to here a lot of people saying what they do........

The major issue I have is with the stream of wood coming off the chisel, up your arm and covering your arm and the near by parts of you as well as the floor. Thus far I just clean up afterwards....... I'm not that experenced in some lathe work yet (spindle stuff I've done but bowl turning is very new to me) so I have to developed some way of dealing with this... with your help I hope.

Ed
curly57
Gold Member

Post by curly57 »

Thanks Spike, If you could take a pic and post it here so I could get a better idea of how you did it, Thanks!!

Happy Woodworking and God Bless!!

Curly....