What do i need for chuck?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

PAULSCOOTER
Gold Member

What do i need for chuck?

Post by PAULSCOOTER »

Hi again.
I started making my first bowl and learning a LOT. Having fun. I watched a lot of videos about bowl turning and so far the outside is very nice. I flipped the bowl over to hollow out the inside and every video i watched bore a hole in it before using the gauge. So I need something that goes into the hole in the tailstock center,, so I can mount the drill chuck. Sorry if im using the wrong terminology, but i'm very new and still learning. Once again thanks in advance. Paul
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: What do i need for chuck?

Post by jsburger »

Well, you don't NEED to drill a hole to start hollowing the bowl. I fact I don't think I have ever seen a video that showed that process. That being said you need a SS tail stock chuck arbor. It has a Morse taper to fit the tail stock and the chuck mounts on the other end,

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... karbor.htm
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
PAULSCOOTER
Gold Member

Post by PAULSCOOTER »

OK,, thank you for the reply
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

PAULSCOOTER wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:37 pm Hi again.
I started making my first bowl and learning a LOT. Having fun. I watched a lot of videos about bowl turning and so far the outside is very nice. I flipped the bowl over to hollow out the inside and every video i watched bore a hole in it before using the gauge. So I need something that goes into the hole in the tailstock center,, so I can mount the drill chuck. Sorry if im using the wrong terminology, but i'm very new and still learning. Once again thanks in advance. Paul
Paul,

Are you just making a bowl? IF I understand correctly, you don't need the tailstock or a drill chuck. Those can be useful for example in making salt and pepper mills, etc. to hollow out the inside. For bowl turning, you can just use your lathe chisels to hollow the inside of the bowl. I grabbed the first YT vid off of a search so I didn't peruse all of it, but you can see in the vid below where they use the tool rest and a gouge to hollow out the inside of bowl. This is the traditional way to do it, but of course you could use a drill bit to remove material as well, but be careful not to drill too far into the bowl where you want the bowl walls to be. Hope this helps.

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
PAULSCOOTER
Gold Member

Post by PAULSCOOTER »

Yes, I am making a bowl (trying ). There is soooooo much I don't know or understand. I watched many videos. They all say have the chisel just above the center of the workpiece. This video as he's turning the center of the bowl, says have the chisel below the center of the piece at 1.38 . Does it matter if it's above or below the center? He makes it look so very easy.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

When you turn all the way to the spindle axis, having your cutting edge either above OR below center will leave a little nub right on the axis. When I get to that point, I just wiggle the cutting edge up and down to turn off that nub. The surface speed is very near zero that close to the spindle axis, so I haven’t yet found any way to get into trouble there.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo_Zd5Om_50
Check out Tomislav video. At eight minutes in he drills the hole. You can use the drill chuck by hand with a 1/4" bit to do the job
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBltqHitj5Y
about a minute and a half in Richard Raffan drills the hole, Many good videos on these two channels as they use tools that are pretty much in the Shopsmith set. They get the job done much easier than many of the others on youtube
If you look around their channel I believe both have videos for making a handle for holding the drill bit.