Sanding Disk Hub Upgrade

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Sanding Disk Hub Upgrade

Post by chapmanruss »

Robert,

When you say,
I have the insert with the long slot.
Do you mean you have the Saw Blade Table Insert shown on the left in the picture in my last post or do you have the Disk Sanding Table Insert shown on the right? The one with the longer slot is actually the Saw Blade Table Insert. If that is the case and you want to have the extra space at the infeed end of the Insert like the Sanding Disk has, you could file off about an 1/8" on the infeed end like John did.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

chapmanruss wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:27 am Do you mean you have the Saw Blade Table Insert shown on the left in the picture in my last post or do you have the Disk Sanding Table Insert shown on the right? The one with the longer slot is actually the Saw Blade Table Insert. If that is the case and you want to have the extra space at the infeed end of the Insert like the Sanding Disk has, you could file off about an 1/8" on the infeed end like John did.
I have the one on the left on the photo.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Just to clarify my situation. I do not have the Sanding disk insert. I have three table saw inserts. Two of them have the long slot that works fine with the sanding disk. The third one had the shorter slot.

The first picture below shows the modified insert on the right and an unmodified insert with the longer slot on the left. The second picture is a detail of the modification. The third picture shows the modified insert in place. The tape shows the approximate length of the original slot as it came from SS. The left edge of the tape was the end of the original slot.
Attachments
20231022_110055.jpg
20231022_110055.jpg (115.02 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
20231022_112609.jpg
20231022_112609.jpg (75.71 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
20231022_110532.jpg
20231022_110532.jpg (166.29 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John,

This makes it more interesting with your pictures and description of your Saw Blade Table Inserts. Do you know the age of the one you lengthened the slot in? As I said my two Saw Blade Table Inserts are from 2001 and 2006. If the one you lengthened the slot in was made prior to that then I would have to guess the slot was lengthened in later Saw Blade Table Inserts to better accommodate the Sanding Disk and eliminate the need for the separate Sanding Disk Table Insert. Your second picture showing the underside of the Saw Blade Table Insert has the extended slot going to the same point as my two Saw Blade Table Inserts. Your longer slot Saw Blade Table Inserts seem to be the same as mine. I see the Table in the third picture you have the modified Saw Blade Table Insert in is an earlier table and is it the one your shorter slot Saw Blade Table Insert came in?
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Russ,

I have three main tables. The one in the picture is from my 510 bought new by me in 1994 from Woodcraft. It is on my shorty now that is used mostly as a sanding station. The other two tables are the newer style with the smooth center section. They were eBay purchases some time between 2009 and 2012 roughly. One is on my dedicated drill press and the other one is on my original 510 that is now a 520 full up MK 7 upgrade. I do not know for sure but my guess is that the insert with the short slot came with the 510 I bought in 1994 and the two long slot inserts came with the two newer eBay bought tables.

It makes sense that the insert with the short slot came originally with the older table in the picture. I believe in 1994 SS was selling the disk sander table insert so it all makes sense.

Yes my modified insert has the slot the same length as the long slot insert. That is shown in the first picture above. The insert on the left is an original long slot SS insert and the one on the right is the one I modified.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

jsburger wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:34 pm Yes my modified insert has the slot the same length as the long slot insert. That is shown in the first picture above. The insert on the left is an original long slot SS insert and the one on the right is the one I modified.
Is it correct to conclude that the modification is limited to the infeed end? I didn't know about this, and usually just take the insert out when disc sanding... This seems better. :o

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:53 pm
jsburger wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:34 pm Yes my modified insert has the slot the same length as the long slot insert. That is shown in the first picture above. The insert on the left is an original long slot SS insert and the one on the right is the one I modified.
Is it correct to conclude that the modification is limited to the infeed end? I didn't know about this, and usually just take the insert out when disc sanding... This seems better. :o

- David
Yes in feed end only. As I remember about 3/8". There is more than enough room on the out feed end because the slot is long enough to accommodate the upper saw guard..

Check your inserts. If you have the newer ones they are already long enough. On the other hand if you have an insert with the shorter slot you can still use it. You just can't lower the table all the way to get max sanding disk exposure. However, it is still completely usable with no modification.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT