The Shopsmith X-6000 prototype

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

The Shopsmith X-6000 prototype

Post by thedovetailjoint »

I recently posted a video about the Shopsmith prototype X-6000 machine on the MyGrowthRings Youtube channel. This machine was on display at the recent 75th anniversary get-together at the factory. A few of us have been chatting about it in another thread, and I think it deserves it’s own thread here.
Catch the video at this link: https://youtu.be/_Kuy7wGzcLI?si=tAQQ9BMnsziyiE_4
IMG_4555.jpeg
IMG_4555.jpeg (113.77 KiB) Viewed 16143 times
http://www.Youtube.com/user/MyGrowthRings
http://Shopsmith-Tool-Hunter.Blogspot.com
http://www.Tool-Hunter.com
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: The Shopsmith X-6000 prototype

Post by DLB »

I'm glad someone started a thread on this subject. So, IIUC, this prototype led to the 510 but none of the headstock improvements found their way into production then or in the subsequent ~40 years.(?) Including, but not limited to, a quarter (-ish) turn wedge lock similar to (or same as) the one on the 510 and on carriage. And a 2HP motor (I presume to be AC Induction ball bearing type). I find both surprising, to say the least. If I was SS, both of these would be available as upgrades ASAP. I like the visible confirmation of locked or unlocked on the way tubes and think that is safer. More power speaks for itself.

Very good video, Scott. Bringing the patent info into it made it really clear what they had done and why.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

David,

I agree. It is very disappointing. Especially for me, because they could have brought this out around the timeframe shortly before when I purchased my 510. I get by with my 510 as-is, but a 2HP motor would have been nice for the 8/4 lumber that I use often. Would have really liked the height adjustment, but in the other direction as Scott mentioned. Still having height options, no matter which way is helpful for many owners. I would really like to know what caused this prototype to be killed and never brought to market in any form/fashion. It seems like carrying over a few features from it to the 510 was kind of a "let's salvage something from this prototype" effort in my mind, less the "oh it lives on somewhere" sentiment. We will probably never know the why though. Wish it had come to market...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BigSky
Gold Member

Re: The Shopsmith X-6000 prototype b

Post by BigSky »

It looks more like a prototype of one of the Shopsmith clones than it does a Shopsmith.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Hey if you are going to dream, dream about a multifunction machine that has a tilting arbor.
That function alone is probably the biggest complaint about the SS.

Think about a variable height, variable speed, tilting arbor machine with total dust collection.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:41 am Hey if you are going to dream, dream about a multifunction machine that has a tilting arbor.

Think about a variable height, variable speed, tilting arbor machine with total dust collection.
Too true...At current prices and taking Shopsmith sentimentality (from working with my Dad on his 510) out of it, my dream would be more like a full size cabinet TS with a router wing on one side with Incra LS Positioner (at least for the router portion). ClearVue EF5 cyclone DC, of course. A 12" jointer and a 20" planer with helical heads. Nova Voyager DVR drill press. Laguna REVO 24 | 36 lathe. Naturally all of the Festool and Milwaukee hand tools, accessories that I would ever want or need. Speaking of hand tools, all the suitable Veritas planes and chisels with PM-V11 tool steel that I might want. That would just about be nirvana for me...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:41 am Think about a variable height, variable speed, tilting arbor machine with total dust collection.
The X-6000 has variable and variable speed. Scott has said someone designed a Shopsmith type headstock that can tilt. I don't think it's all that practical but a headstock could pivot on an axis between the way tubes that would allow a left tilt of the sawblade and other rotary tools mounted on the main spindle. I think a cabinet saw version of the Shopsmith that has the headstock mounted on trunnions could maintain most current Shopsmith functionality except for drill press mode without going totally Rube Goldberg.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Scott,

Thank you for the video presenting the X-6000. I like the comparisons to the Mark V 510 (and 505 for that matter) that appear to have come from the X-6000. This is an interesting part of the Shopsmith tool evolution and I am sure there were others.

I believe I understand the thinking at Shopsmith Inc. as to why the X-6000 never came out as envisioned. The Mark V had been a mainstay for the companies since its introduction, except for in the 1960's when the Mark VII became more popular. The two Mark tools, the Mark 2 and the 1960's Mark VII both were in production for only a short time. Even though the Mark VII pushed the Mark 5 out of production in 1964 its sale dwindled down soon after. Having the backward engineering available for upgrades to all earlier made Mark 5/V's has always been a plus. With more than 10 times as many Mark 5's having been made than Mark VII's, to me, it makes sense when Shopsmith Inc. was formed in 1972 that they brought back the Mark 5 and over the years continued to build on that tool with so many upgrades. If the X-6000 had come out and ended up replacing the Mark V there would be many more Mark 5/V tools collecting dust in the corner of workshops.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:41 am Hey if you are going to dream, dream about a multifunction machine that has a tilting arbor.

My biggest complaint is 510 and on main table instability. To some extent this relates to tilting table Vs. arbor, in that if the table didn't have to tilt it would likely be more stable. But I can't envision a tilting arbor that eliminates the need for a tilting table on a multifunction machine. FWIW, I don't really recall table instability on my Greenie being as objectionable, though that design has one less trunnion lock. I wish SS had fixed this while prototyping the 510 and on table system, or some time afterward.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

chapmanruss wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:30 pm Scott,

Thank you for the video presenting the X-6000. I like the comparisons to the Mark V 510 (and 505 for that matter) that appear to have come from the X-6000. This is an interesting part of the Shopsmith tool evolution and I am sure there were others.

I believe I understand the thinking at Shopsmith Inc. as to why the X-6000 never came out as envisioned. The Mark V had been a mainstay for the companies since its introduction, except for in the 1960's when the Mark VII became more popular. The two Mark tools, the Mark 2 and the 1960's Mark VII both were in production for only a short time. Even though the Mark VII pushed the Mark 5 out of production in 1964 its sale dwindled down soon after. Having the backward engineering available for upgrades to all earlier made Mark 5/V's has always been a plus. With more than 10 times as many Mark 5's having been made than Mark VII's, to me, it makes sense when Shopsmith Inc. was formed in 1972 that they brought back the Mark 5 and over the years continued to build on that tool with so many upgrades. If the X-6000 had come out and ended up replacing the Mark V there would be many more Mark 5/V tools collecting dust in the corner of workshops.
Russ,

Good insights and I appreciate it. I understand everything except your last sentence above. Many 10ER's are still being used and some have even been restored to as good or maybe even better than factory fresh condition. I believe similarly for the Mark VII's. While I don't know numbers of used vs. unused machines, I never would have characterized these tools as just sitting around in people's shops collecting dust. I am just curious if you view them the same as the Mark V reference above and think they are largely collecting dust in the corners of shops? Or is there something different with regard to the Mark V in your comment above? Just trying to understand your thinking here. Thanks again.
📶RF Guy