Shopsmith purchasing advice

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith purchasing advice

Post by RFGuy »

Good feedback from Ed and Roy. That is why I was trying to ascertain the size of the shop space and what you need. IF limited to only a 9x12 shop forever then many might choose hand tool woodworking only (handsaw, planes, chisels, etc.), but you could also do powered hand tools as Ed mentions. With a small tool cabinet of hand tools and a good workbench, you can do A LOT of woodworking in a very small space, but then that doesn't include the lathe. I never liked working with sheet goods on my Mark V and I am MUCH happier owning a tracksaw now. There are many good options in powered hand tools today for woodworking. As Ed mentions bringing the tool to the work, Euro style, makes a lot of sense...Since I have a small shop, I opted to make a big investment in certain Festool components and they complement my Mark V. It lets me enjoy using my Mark V for certain tasks (tablesaw ripping, bandsaw, jointer*, planer, lathe, drillpress). Other tasks I enjoy more on my Festool equipment. Also glad Roy brought up the height of the Mark V. IF you are tall, it is a bit of a pain to do woodturning on the Mark V. I usually do it seated on a stool and that is still not the best for ergonomics. Depending on what you are turning, you may/may not be happy on the Mark V as a lathe.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

There have been some really good suggestions already. Since you are currently working in a small space the suggestion of a track saw is a must if you are cutting, as an example, 4' x 8' panels down to size. That will make them much easier to handle for finish cuts in your small shop area no matter what Table Saw you are using.

As for finding a used Shopsmith patience will pay off in finding a good deal. Things to look for are condition, completeness and are there any extra items like desired SPT's, a Jointer or Bandsaw come to mind. Brenda (thunderbirdbat) suggested reading the PDF on Everett's Google site titled "Buying a Used Shopsmith" which will help you understand what to look for. A Shopsmith Mark V of any model to be complete should be able to do all of the 5 functions having the parts it originally came with to do so. From the factory they did not come with Lathe Chisels and if you find one that has never been used for the Lathe function it may not have Lathe Chisels.

Buying a Mark V 500 (the original Table System) with the thought of later upgrading it is likely going to cost you a lot more overall than buying a used Mark V 510 or 520. The upgrade from a 500 to a 520 (now listed in the online catalog as MARK V 500 to MARK 7 Pro Fence & Table Upgrade) is $1639.00 and likely more than a used Mark V 520. Something to understand about the different models of the Mark V is they all use the same Headstock, although you will find older ones with the "B" Headstock or even older Mark 5 Greenies with the "A" Headstock instead of the current "C" Headstock. They use the same Bench and Tailstock. The difference is the Main Table, Extension Table, in the case of the Mark V 510 & 520 additional Floating Tables, Fence system, the Carriage and the Saw Blade Guard/Dust Collection. There are accessories that are different for the Mark V 500 and the other Mark V models.

You mentioned your Table Saw is older and parts are no longer available for it. Here is some good news about the Shopsmith Mark V, parts for it are still available but the original 500 Table System and the 510/505 Table System have been discontinued and parts are no longer being made for them so an upgrade to the 520/Mark 7 Table System can be a plus. Once parts still in stock for the discontinued models run out, they are gone but there is still a large used parts market out there.

Back to a question in your original post, I have transported many Shopsmith Mark V's and Model 10's in my Dodge minivan. Years ago, I saw a video (youtube I think) showing loading a Mark V into a minivan. The thing I remember the most was moving the Headstock back and forth during loading. With the Headstock furthest away from the back of the van, lift the end of the Mark V into the van and slide in until the other leg is close but still on the ground. Move the Headstock up to the end of the Way Tubes already in the van and lift the remaining end into the van. This helps the Headstock clear going through the rear lift hatch which usually has a lower clearance than the inside of the van. Because all the mid and rear seats are down (in the Dodge Caravan I have they fold into the floor) I use tiedowns attached to the seat anchors to keep the Shopsmith from moving during transport.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
MartinH
Silver Member

Post by MartinH »

Thanks for the additional feedback.

A track saw is good idea, as I currently avoid working with full sheets of plywood. Instead I purchase half or quarter sheets, which I can work with. But the idea of using a moving tool would work well in my space.

When a project calls for pieces large than I can manage, my local lumber yard will cut it for a fee if you give them a cutting list. That feels a bit like cheating, but it solves the small shop and dust collection problems.

My primary use for bevel cuts are making French cleats to hang shelving I build. I also built a step stool that had a few bevels in it as well. All of these were pieces 3/4" inch thick by a few feet long, and less than a foot wide. Relatively easy to manage given my space constraints.

I suspected upgrading a 500 or 510 to the 520 system wouldn't be cost effective. I plan to keep watching Craigslist to get a feel for the prices of various models in my area.
jpdalton
Gold Member

Post by jpdalton »

MartinH wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:35 pm I just registered with the forum and hope this is the correct area to post a question like this.
Martin - just saw your post and sent a PM with more info. I should be able to assist you.
John Dalton
Massachusetts
1948 10E, S/N 5052 (restored)
1950 10ER, S/N 26473 (restored)
1952 10ER, S/N 51721 (restored as dedicated drill press)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263334 (functionally restored)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263705 (restored/PowerPro)
c1959 Mark 2, S/N 81940 (undergoing restoration)