Magnifying Glass - Steam Bent or Segmented

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

adrianpglover
Gold Member

Magnifying Glass - Steam Bent or Segmented

Post by adrianpglover »

In some cleanup at work, I found a +3 diopter magnifier that's about 5" across. The glass is from one of those magnifying lamps that clamp to a table and have a long arm on them. I was thinking of turning it into a Holmes-style magnifying glass. The lumber I'd be working with is some red oak from a past project. I was thinking of either steam bending or doing a segmented circle for glass holder.

For steam bending - I was thinking of doing multiple strips around and laminating them together. I've not done steam bending before, but the wallpaper steamer I have looks to be an exact copy of the "steam generator" in the Rockler kit, so I'd just need to buy the brass fitting and a latch, then build the box and forms. I was thinking of making it as a laminated stack that would start at the base of the handle, go up and around the glass, and continue back down to the handle. Of course there would also be a curved "triangle" piece that would sit between the lamination and the glass itself. Once assembled, there would likely be a few screws in the handle to keep everything nice and tight.

Things I'm not sure about with this:
The lumber I have to work with would be some red oak that I've had for a decade or more. Not sure how well that will bend.
Since the dried wood will spring back some, I'm not sure how to make the form so that I'll have it spring back to the correct shape.
Since I'd be doing a laminated stack, do I bend all the laminated pieced together at the same time?
Should I just have a single bend piece go around the glass and have the handle be made up of multiple pieces that hold that laminated strip together?

For segmented option - I don't have a good way to cut a hole of this size, so I'd likely glue up something, attach it to a board, then turn it on the lathe. I've not done this before, but it seems like it would be simple enough to do with the parting tool. I'm just concerned that it wouldn't be a very sturdy construction, since the glue joints would be small and end grain. I also think the laminated option would look better, if I can pull it off.

This is a project just to play around and learn new skills, not a present for anyone. If I get it done it will be used by my kids and my wife.
Mark 7 (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 12" planer (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 11" bandsaw | 4" jointer
Grizzly G1023RLWX (new 2013) | Grizzly G0583Z (new 2012) | DeWALT DW618PK
Oneida Dust Deputy (on 5g bucket bolted to a 10g oil drum, used only with planer & jointer)
edflorence
Platinum Member

Re: Magnifying Glass - Steam Bent or Segmented

Post by edflorence »

Adrian;

Here is a link you might find interesting...it looks like you can minimize or maybe even eliminate springback by steaming before laminating...I have never tried that, but it sounds interesting.

https://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/ ... tions.html

What about just routing or turning a hole in a solid piece with a rabbet on the inside, like a circular picture frame, and then add a handle afterward. You could dovetail the handle into the frame or attach with some sort of screw fastener.

Be sure to post pix of the finished project!
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
CreekWood
Gold Member

Re: Magnifying Glass - Steam Bent or Segmented

Post by CreekWood »

Adrian, if you do laminate a stack that starts at the base of the handle, goes up and around the glass, and continues back down to the handle--especially with your curved "triangle" piece that would sit between the lamination and the glass itself--you will have overcome the spring back. If you can keep it clamped, you've got it whipped. Look at the forms that luthiers use.

The challenge will be to bend your layers in that tight radius without snapping them. I think a good steaming will soften them up.

It may also be easier to do a few layers at a time. I can tell you from building a few fiberglass and wood core archery bows that glue makes all those layers extra squirrelly. They want to slide out of place as soon as you look away.

I also built the banister for our round staircase. I wish I'd made it up from thinner layers. Even though the stairs only make a quarter turn, the helical twist was really hard to force, and I wound up with enough springback in that red oak to push the newal post a little off plumb. I have a lot more tools now, and maybe a few more smarts... I'd do it differently if I were to do it again.
Mark V 500 upgraded to 520
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
Bosch 1617EVS & Router Table
Craftsman 351.23371 Planer
Performax 16-32 Thickness Sander (finally tracking right!)
...and a growing collection of traditional hand tools.