Lost in Translation

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Lost in Translation

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:14 pm The instructions were clear up to that point, in hindsight maybe a little thin on detail. Paraphrasing : Plug it in, 5 minute warm up, place the tip against the solder, when the solder melts push the button and solder will be absorbed. Nothing confusing or with major grammatical errors. Followed by the warning I quoted. It probably would have been clear to someone familiar with the type. The ones I've experienced were a much higher grade of tool, and like I said did not exhaust through the tip. This is perfectly adequate, might benefit from a check valve to divert the exhaust. Results were superior to braided solder wicking tape, at least on through-hole, it's fast, and ~$35.

- David
David,

Oh, you have the deluxe model! ;) I was talking about the solder suckers that you have to apply your own soldering iron to heat the component while you also hold the solder sucker into position for extraction. I haven't looked at these products in years, but I can imagine the type you are using and it sounds like a steal for only $35 if it works halfway decent at all. Don't knock solder braid. It sucks on axial lead components but it is the best low tech way to remove SMT's. Portable hot air gun reflow is even better. :D What you described reminded me of a fun memory from childhood with my 1st solder sucker. My Dad had a solder sucker and I have no idea where he got it from, but it looked homemade. It was a motor and vacuum pump mounted on a wood board. Small motor, not idea the HP but maybe 10" long and 5" diameter. There was a small glass capsule about the size of a 35mm film canister connected at the input of the vacuum pump and the hose attached would be used to suck the solder away from whatever you had heated up with your solder iron. The solidified solder would be deposited in the glass capsule that you had to empty later. Sharing this memory in case it triggers anyone else's memory or brings up nostalgia. Thanks for sharing.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Lost in Translation

Post by dusty »

I have no fond memories of solder suckers. My performance was so bad that they sent me to NASA Soldering School.

Memories of that experience weren't much better but I did become certified at the soldering station. All that did was earn me a position at the printed circuit repair station
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.