First bowl on the Mk V

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tfrayne
Gold Member

First bowl on the Mk V

Post by tfrayne »

I've had very limited experience in woodturning. I made a few pens and a baseball bat. I wanted to get into bowl turning. I took a bowl turning class at a local WoodCraft store in the spring. I ended up turning my project into a planter by going too deep in the center and poking through.

Now that I have finished restoring my 2nd Mk V (1956 greenie) I bought a Nova ProTek chuck w/SS adapter. This is my first chuck; I never had a chuck for my 520.

This is my first attempt with it. I used a piece of birdseye maple. I'm happy with it overall. I see improvement over the classroom project in the consistency of the thickness, but its all by eyeball. I don't have a set of calipers yet.
Attachments
bowl.jpeg
bowl.jpeg (47.71 KiB) Viewed 11963 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Re: First bowl on the Mk V

Post by larryhrockisland »

Very nice! What finish did you use?
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I’m a sucker for figured wood — it’s a beauty!
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

I wasn't sure what my wife might want to use it for, so I used a food safe oil for cutting boards.

Which I found out after I bought it is just mineral oil.....
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

It is very nice!

Aside: What's the difference between the Nova G3 Pro Tek chuck versus the Nova G3 that Shopsmith still sells?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

algale wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:21 am It is very nice!

Aside: What's the difference between the Nova G3 Pro Tek chuck versus the Nova G3 that Shopsmith still sells?
Alan,

There is a good graphic that shows the differences between them on this thread that I posted before. Below is the link, but I will re-post it here as well down below. Chuck is basically the same, but what comes packaged with it is different, I believe.

viewtopic.php?p=282203#p282203
RFGuy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:12 am So, I got the Nova G3 chuck from Shopsmith "on sale" in 2019. I have gotten some good use out of it so far and have no frame of reference since this was my first lathe chuck, though I do wonder if I shouldn't upgrade to the SuperNova2 or another brand chuck in the future. I just want to point out that it cost me $164.96 in Jan. 2019 (from Shopsmith). It included the 50mm jaws and the pin jaws as well as the Shopsmith threaded insert. ALSO it came in a hard plastic carrying case with fitted foam inserts to protect everything. This Nova G3 is "on sale" now at Shopsmith and NO longer comes in a plastic case but just a box according to the summary chart in the Shopsmith email and now the price is $189. So it costs 15% more now and you are getting less today. I have only seen this chuck get cheaper in the last 2 years at other retailers, not more expensive.

The Nova G3 ProTek doesn't come with the insert but does come with 50mm, 100mm and pin jaws as well as with a hard plastic carrying case for $189.99 from Shopsmith (insert is $24.99 additional). Rockler has the same package regularly priced at $189.99.
NOVA_CHUCKS.jpg
NOVA_CHUCKS.jpg
NOVA_CHUCKS.jpg (40.06 KiB) Viewed 11929 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
CreekWood
Gold Member

Post by CreekWood »

I'm not even up to newbie level when it comes to lathe turning, so this is a really dumb question: does "Directional Tightening" mean right-handed vs left-handed threading of the chuck onto the SS adapter? Wouldn't counter-clockwise create a risk for loosening the chuck?
Speaking of risks, the only thing I've ever turned was a newal post from a four-ply of construction 2x6 on a Craftsman lathe. Ain't gonna do that again.
Mark V 500 upgraded to 520
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
Bosch 1617EVS & Router Table
Craftsman 351.23371 Planer
Performax 16-32 Thickness Sander (finally tracking right!)
...and a growing collection of traditional hand tools.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:15 am
algale wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:21 am It is very nice!

Alan,

There is a good graphic that shows the differences between them on this thread that I posted before. Below is the link, but I will re-post it here as well down below. Chuck is basically the same, but what comes packaged with it is different, I believe.

viewtopic.php?p=282203#p282203
RFGuy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:12 am So, I got the Nova G3 chuck from Shopsmith "on sale" in 2019. I have gotten some good use out of it so far and have no frame of reference since this was my first lathe chuck, though I do wonder if I shouldn't upgrade to the SuperNova2 or another brand chuck in the future. I just want to point out that it cost me $164.96 in Jan. 2019 (from Shopsmith). It included the 50mm jaws and the pin jaws as well as the Shopsmith threaded insert. ALSO it came in a hard plastic carrying case with fitted foam inserts to protect everything. This Nova G3 is "on sale" now at Shopsmith and NO longer comes in a plastic case but just a box according to the summary chart in the Shopsmith email and now the price is $189. So it costs 15% more now and you are getting less today. I have only seen this chuck get cheaper in the last 2 years at other retailers, not more expensive.

The Nova G3 ProTek doesn't come with the insert but does come with 50mm, 100mm and pin jaws as well as with a hard plastic carrying case for $189.99 from Shopsmith (insert is $24.99 additional). Rockler has the same package regularly priced at $189.99.
NOVA_CHUCKS.jpg
NOVA_CHUCKS.jpg
Thanks for the link and the summary!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

CreekWood wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:12 pm I'm not even up to newbie level when it comes to lathe turning, so this is a really dumb question: does "Directional Tightening" mean right-handed vs left-handed threading of the chuck onto the SS adapter? Wouldn't counter-clockwise create a risk for loosening the chuck?
Speaking of risks, the only thing I've ever turned was a newal post from a four-ply of construction 2x6 on a Craftsman lathe. Ain't gonna do that again.
This is a great question. I think it refers to the direction you turn the key to tighten the jaws. The problem with that theory, though, is sometimes you tighten jaws down on something like a tenon and other times you tighten the jaws by expanding them in a mortise. So direction of tightening depends more on what you are turning. On my Super Nova, which I think is another variant from the same manufacturer, CW with the key spreads the jaws. And it has standard righty-tighty threads between SS adapter and chuck. There is a setscrew that tightens down on the adapter threads to allow for bi-directional turning. I don't recall ever seeing a LH thread adapter.

- David
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

Thanks, RFGuy -

This is my first chuck, on sale this month at ShopSmith. I had contacted Mike Young about which package to choose from and he recommended the ProTek. So far I am thrilled with it, but I have nothing to compare it to.
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!