ShopSmith Future Direction

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Re: ShopSmith Future Direction

Post by HopefulSSer »

You keep disparagingly referring to Cupps as "Saint Nick". Are you mocking him as the supposed "saviour of the company" who will destroy it, or are you mocking anyone who's willing to have an open mind and optimism?
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Exactly what I thought the first time I saw that. Glad I am not the only one who thinks that way.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:21 pm ... Still sad to see them discontinue the planer. :(
Likely a decision made (assuming it has been made) under the previous leadership. Pro-Planer and the alternative stand for the mounted planer were discontinued earlier, I'm thinking a couple of years ago.(?) One can hope that parts support stays around for a while. I like the idea of the continuously variable feed speed. I'm not a fan of Mark-mounted for a planer though, it wouldn't work for me.

- David
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

HopefulSSer wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:43 pm You keep disparagingly referring to Cupps as "Saint Nick". Are you mocking him as the supposed "saviour of the company" who will destroy it, or are you mocking anyone who's willing to have an open mind and optimism?
+ 1
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

HopefulSSer wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:43 pm You keep disparagingly referring to Cupps as "Saint Nick". Are you mocking him as the supposed "saviour of the company" who will destroy it, or are you mocking anyone who's willing to have an open mind and optimism?
jsburger wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:48 pm Exactly what I thought the first time I saw that. Glad I am not the only one who thinks that way.
larryhrockisland wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:09 pm
+ 1
Definitions:
disparage - regard or represent as being of little worth.
mock - tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner.

No, I don't believe I once mocked or disparaged him. Many on the forum and in the YT comments of that interview LAVISHED praise on him for taking over, while I am much more guarded because I know what a private equity acquisition means. More than once I have emphasized on my posts on this forum that I sincerely hope he succeeds because I want the company to have a future. I have, however, been honest about what I think the headwinds are for the company in hopes they can course correct. Fanboy'ing over Shopsmith won't save it, but perhaps open and honest dialogue about what the company is, where it intends to go and how to get there just might. I attempted to solicit humor by warmly referring to him as Saint Nick on the forum (in hopes he would save the company), but like many of my posts on this forum, they become misinterpreted, misunderstood, mischaracterized. So, I am done. You guys can have the forum...and by the way, you just created one less Shopsmith customer. Goodbye.

Let the echo chamber resume...
viewtopic.php?p=311851#p311851
EchoChamber.jpg
EchoChamber.jpg (177.18 KiB) Viewed 11619 times
Last edited by RFGuy on Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Was the planer too expensive to continue at a reasonable profit? IMO it is far better than the lunch box models.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:04 am Was the planer too expensive to continue at a reasonable profit? IMO it is far better than the lunch box models.
Does anyone in fact know that it has been permanently discontinued? I recall in the past it would be on the site but "currently unavailable" and then suddenly available again for some period.

It was extremely expensive compared to lunchbox planers including the Dewalt DW735, which is usually considered the top of the heap performance-wise.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:04 am Was the planer too expensive to continue at a reasonable profit? IMO it is far better than the lunch box models.
Correct me if I am wrong but, as I remember it when the SS planer was introduced there were no lunch box planers. It was the only alternative to the large Powermatics et al. It certainly is far superior to the lunch box planers.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

jsburger wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:08 pm
Correct me if I am wrong but, as I remember it when the SS planer was introduced there were no lunch box planers. It was the only alternative to the large Powermatics et al. It certainly is far superior to the lunch box planers.
Both you and JPG seem to think it is far superior to lunchbox planers. I only have experience with the DW735. What is it that makes you guys think the SS planer is far superior?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I consider a 1.75 hp induction motor to be more suitable to the task than a universal motor.

That said, I consider the cutter speed of the DW735 to be superior.

The SS mount suffers more so with it's lower speed and hp.

The DW735 elevation screws appear to be more robust, but I think a bit of hyper marketing rather than useful since the pitch seems to be far greater.

The cast iron bed on the pro planer is better than the stamped steel of the DW735(I am assuming this one).

Also the aluminum torsion box casting provides a better base for the SS bed 'skin'.

I admit to very little experience with the SS planer, but also none with the DW375. My other thickness planer is not in the same league, but, is much more stout(cast iron bed and cutter housing).

The SS variable speed range is a big plus IMHO.

The SS mount with cutter speed adjustable with the inclusive torque changes is I think a small but relevant 'feature'.

Cannot ignore the DW735 is 1" wider.

So much for 'perception' induced judgement.

I have ignored 'dust collection', but the DW735 "appears" more viable.

P.S. I am curious re the DW735 bogging down with a full width cut greater than "[1/32"]".
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange