Mark V Wheeled Base Platform Proposal

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Mark V Wheeled Base Platform Proposal

Post by SteveMaryland »

I am considering fabbing a Mark V base platform shown. The current retractable caster wheel system is OK, but on rough and/or uneven surfaces, shimming or blocks are required to eliminate machine wobble. And we may want to bring the machine to a true level, which the current design cannot do well.

In use, this base would be wheeled out to the work area, and then the 4 leveling bolts (1/2" allthread with a hand knob attached) are turned down to lift the base off the casters and then level and de-wobble the machine. A bubble level could be attached to the base to verify level.

Could also be used as a platform for for tool storage, which seems to be a popular thing with some SS owners.

As shown, the Mark V legs are "boxed in" by this base, and I expect that this constraint, plus the steel angles, would provide improved machine frame rigidity.

This platform does elevate the Mark V about 5".

Has anyone tried a platform like this? Comments, suggestions.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving 2023 everyone!
Attachments
SHOPSMITH + WHEELED BASE.JPG
SHOPSMITH + WHEELED BASE.JPG (97.9 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Mark V Wheeled Base Platform Proposal

Post by edma194 »

I used heavy duty leveling casters for a table saw platform seen in this thread.

The casters I used weren't the ratcheting type. I don't know how well the ratchets work but it's very difficult to raise the platform just by turning the screws, but it's quite easy to lift up an end with a pry bar and set it down on a piece of 4x4 to adjust them. Your leveling bolts are nice because they can be accessed from the top. My saw is on a pretty level floor and doesn't move very far so it works out for me now. When I was working with my 510 on an uneven floor in the past I would just use cedar shim stock to level it up. Leveling feet on the Shopsmith legs would be nice to have but the standard casters don't lift the machine very far off the floor.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER