Stop Collars - the accessory I should have bought years ago

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Stop Collars - the accessory I should have bought years ago

Post by JPG »

DLB wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:46 pm
admin wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:15 am Please contact Customer Service on Monday. 501439 (stop collar without the set screw) should not have been on the website and has now been removed. It appears we missed that when setting up the new website.

To those that noticed, yes items not intended to be available may have strange pricing since we don't update those.

Admin
I think SS needs to take a harder look at this. 501439 (Ref No. 291) is in the manual as a tube collar with no setscrew. 501438, confirmed by Alan earlier as a collar with setscrew, is in the manual as item 290, "Tailstock & Tube Asm." In other words a Tailstock (if we're still using that word ;) ) without stop collars. I didn't see any way to 'find' a stop collar on the web site except by searching that text. In other words the PL and Exploded View, as it pertains to the Tailstock, isn't on the web site but it is in the manual. (I think I should find it under service parts.)

The only thing that I see here that is consistent with the manual is that I should be able to order Item 291, PH 501439, as a collar without setscrew. Taking it off the web site would leave one (that was using the manual) thinking it can only be ordered from SS as part of a complete tailstock. Thence to eBay, where new stop collars are sold by competitors. Or somewhere else where less expensive versions that don't support the 5/32" hex key are more prevalent.

- David
I would be concerned that "the manual" may be different in different versions.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:56 pm I would be concerned that "the manual" may be different in different versions.
True. I submit that there are multiple solutions that are better than eliminating 501439 from the web site. (Now returns "Nothing found.") If a part in the manual is superseded, it is much better if a search returns that information.

I also don't see anything wrong with making both versions available, I was about to buy a handful of 501439 on my next order based on information in this thread and the manual. I wouldn't normally buy 501438 because the description on the web site conflicts with my manual and the description on the web site is inadequate to tell me what I'm buying (size of stop collar is not included, though algale, above, confirms that this is a complete stop collar and of the correct size for this intended purpose.) Also, I generally try to buy OEM but recent pricing chases have caused me to rethink this. And of the two, only 501439 is priced competitively.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My 'experience' with 3rd party stop collars is that they are a looser fit. Very small sample size!!!! Also the set screws are cupoint.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Has anyone tried clamping stop collars? I assume they can account for minor discrepancies in diameter, but perhaps I'm mistaken about that.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would prefer the split collar type.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:56 am
JPG wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:56 pm I would be concerned that "the manual" may be different in different versions.
True. I submit that there are multiple solutions that are better than eliminating 501439 from the web site. (Now returns "Nothing found.") If a part in the manual is superseded, it is much better if a search returns that information.

I also don't see anything wrong with making both versions available, I was about to buy a handful of 501439 on my next order based on information in this thread and the manual. I wouldn't normally buy 501438 because the description on the web site conflicts with my manual and the description on the web site is inadequate to tell me what I'm buying (size of stop collar is not included, though algale, above, confirms that this is a complete stop collar and of the correct size for this intended purpose.) Also, I generally try to buy OEM but recent pricing chases have caused me to rethink this. And of the two, only 501439 is priced competitively.

- David
Correct me if I am wrong, but there is only one size (ID) stop collar. All the tubes you would normally use one on are the same size.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:20 am Has anyone tried clamping stop collars? I assume they can account for minor discrepancies in diameter, but perhaps I'm mistaken about that.
Skip Campbell has used them on the Model 10. I don't see any reason why they would not work on a MK V/5. I have a big one on vertical column of my stand alone pin router. They have the added benefit of no set screw marks and they can be put on a tube anywhere. You don't have to slip them over the end which might require removing a component to get the collar in the right position.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

Yes, the 2-piece split collar is the best, for the reasons Mr. Burger cited. I would much rather have them than the setscrew type. Much larger and more reliable holding force than setscrew also.

I looked at McMaster, their lowest price 2-piece metal collar (for 1-1/4" ID) is $14.44 each. All others, including in aluminum, are more.

And the screw is a .250-28, which would have a 3/16" hex hole, larger than the 5/32" "Shopsmith Toolkit". Oh well.

MCM 6436K21.JPG
MCM 6436K21.JPG (104.86 KiB) Viewed 47061 times
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

An example of a low cost collar from Amazon available for $9.89. It has a 1/4x28 'setscrew', a cap screw really, which usually has a 3/16" hex drive. A 5/32"drive would be nicer but a lot of stop collars don't get moved much over their lifetime so drive size doesn't matter that much for them.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:12 am My 'experience' with 3rd party stop collars is that they are a looser fit. Very small sample size!!!! Also the set screws are cupoint.
Expanding your sample size slightly, I compared a Tractor Supply (Labeled County Line brand) off the shelf collar to the OEM. These are larger in every way compared to OEM, including a slightly looser fit. I measured ID using two slide calipers, one digital and one dial, and the SS version measured 1.248" on both while the other measured 1.252" on both. A single sample of a main table leg (DT version) measures slightly smaller than I expected at 1.240". Subjectively, placing the collars on the leg with the setscrew loose, the SS version is a better fit. When tightened down and used as intended, either version seems to work fine.

- David