Check Your Belt Sander Platten Screws

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Check Your Belt Sander Platten Screws

Post by algale »

Anyone else had this happen?

The other day I went to change out the sanding belt on my belt sander and the lower left platen screw very nearly fell out when the belt came off. Several other screws also needed to be tightened.

I was shocked by this. I normally go a very long time between changing belts and I don't normally check the platten screws when I do.

I am considering putting a touch of loctite on each of the screws to keep them where they belong!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Check Your Belt Sander Platten Screws

Post by JPG »

Use the blue version.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:42 am Use the blue version.
For sure!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Since the Platen is attached to the Side Frames with screws into Tinnerman Clips I wonder if Loctite would even make that much of a difference.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:21 pm Since the Platen is attached to the Side Frames with screws into Tinnerman Clips I wonder if Loctite would even make that much of a difference.
Great point. I was in a hurry to finish my project and just tightened everything up, slapped the new belt on and got back to work. I need to take a closer look.

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

A possible solution that comes to mind would be to change to flat head machine screws with either lock nuts or lock washers, nuts and possibly Loctite too.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

You made me check.

One screw was finger-loose. All the rest could use a good tightening. Most concerning of all was that I discovered I was missing three of the 12 washers the platten sits on, so my platten wasn't sitting flat or square. What kinds of problems had that caused me?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

davebodner,

Depending on when your Belt Sander was made it may have a washer behind the Back-up Plate (the listed part name instead of Platten) or 2 washers or no washers at each of the 6 holes. In checking different era Manuals, the first Manual from 1956 has 1 washer behind the Back-up Plate. The Manual dated 7-72 (when Shopsmith Inc. was preparing to restart production) has 2 washers behind the Back-up Plate. The Manual from 1-89 and the current parts list have no washers behind the Back-up Plate. The washers were use as spacers between the Back-up Plate and the Inner and Outer Frame castings to the tabs where the Tinnerman Clips attach. The Washers change the Back-up Plate position in relationship to the Drive and Idler Drums. Having some washers missing and depending on where they are missing may cause your Back-up Plate to not sit flat across the entire surface.

EDIT

So, I did just go out and check my Belt Sanders. My Belt Sander made in December of 1977 has the 2 washers behind the Plate at all six holes and the screws were tight. This is my primary Belt Sander with the Dust Collector Chute upgrade. My other Belt Sander I currently have is one I recently acquired and haven't started restoring it yet. The screws are tight and it has the 2 washers behind the Plate. The washers are thicker than standard ones.
Russ

Mark V 520
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

Chapmanruss,

I just made that discovery--about 6 hours after you posted.

For you, and any other Shopsmith archeologists, my printed manual from 6/82 shows the doubled-up washers. They were item #29 on the parts drawing. The current drawing on the website skips #29.

I was scratching my head over why my table was skewed vis-a-vis the belt. I couldn't see how to adjust the table (you can't). Finally I removed the platten and saw the missing washers. Substituting stacks of random washers solved the problem.

Having, or not having, backing washers effectively changes the belt track length. Perhaps belts have changed over the years.