Rolling tool table

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Rolling tool table

Post by wrmnfzy »

Due to age and some medical problems becoming difficult to lift some power tools to place on my work bench. I am preparing to make two rolling stands, one for a scroll saw and one for an oscillating sander. My question is should the stands be tapered, I.e. base wider than the top for stability. If anyone has a pic of one they made it would be helpful. Hell to get old🤪
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Rolling tool table

Post by edma194 »

I used a Harbor Freight tool stand for my DeWalt planer : https://www.harborfreight.com/universal ... 69805.html

They make a narrower version that might be better for your scroll saw: https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inch-h ... 95128.html

And a smaller bench grinder stand which could be good for your sander: https://www.harborfreight.com/universal ... 59196.html

I put locking casters on the planer stand but I'm considering changing to leveling roller feet that will provide more stability than the locked casters. Depending on the height and weight of the tool you'll want to taper the stand for stability and strength of the cart. Tapered sides will give you more strength for the weight of the materials. Once a stand height is more than 1-1/2 times it's height you'll want the tapering to avoid tipping.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

Thanks
I had looked at those stands a couple weeks ago but thought I’d just make them. After seeing your post I rethought it and decided to get two of them. Just got back from Harbor Freight and they are in my shop waiting for assembly.

Discretion was the better part of valor. Decided to save my back for other projects.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

wrmnfzy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:29 pm Discretion was the better part of valor. Decided to save my back for other projects.
I'm often choosing discretion these days also.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

👍