WHERE Y'ALL AT???

Post by JPG »

Seems somewhat lonely here recently!

Even the spammers are few.

What's up with this????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: WHERE Y'ALL AT???

Post by edma194 »

From one thread it sounded like new users need approval to post so that cut into the spammers. It's so quiet I'm starting to miss them too.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

edma194 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:14 am From one thread it sounded like new users need approval to post so that cut into the spammers. It's so quiet I'm starting to miss them too.
I am here right where I am every morning about this time.

Yes, there has been very little activity here. I fear only that this means a loss of regular followers.

What is curious though is that I see very few names that I recognize on the various FB woodworking related sites.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

Still lurking...

But yes, I've noticed a drop off of users..

Doc
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I think it is that everyone is busy. Either winterizing or in the shop getting presents finished up.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Like Dusty I am still here but most of the subjects in many posts have been very mundane. Since I refuse to support FB I am not on there nor any of todays “social media” type venues.

There is a YouTube channel Woodbrew where a young fellow and his wife do woodworking. In yesterday’s video he discussed the end of wood working by future generations.
https://youtu.be/NxyieTmxWjY?si=E2kAvZzjIx8NeJ3r

I am very concern about the coming generation. My grandchildren have absolutely no interest in any hands on activity. I experienced a potential future grand son (oh I hope not) completely lost on a typical chain link fence post latch. One of those u shaped latches that flip up to open and flip down around te post to close. There was a padlock there and he was asked to close the gate and lock it. He would still be there if my son in law hadn,t walked over flipped it shut and put the padlock in the hole. 🙄
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:57 am I am very concern about the coming generation. My grandchildren have absolutely no interest in any hands on activity. I experienced a potential future grand son (oh I hope not) completely lost on a typical chain link fence post latch. One of those u shaped latches that flip up to open and flip down around te post to close. There was a padlock there and he was asked to close the gate and lock it. He would still be there if my son in law hadn,t walked over flipped it shut and put the padlock in the hole. 🙄
They said the end of the age of sailing ships would also end the practice of scrimshaw carving but ... oh wait, that one came true.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I know we are most concerned about wood working but if things do not change this nation is going to have a serious problem. As mentioned in the woodbrew video a major problem is after you get kids interested in the trades there is no one to teach them. He gave a statistic that the average age of tradesmen in this country is 55.

Who is going to do our future stone masonry, wielding, house building, electrical work, plumbing, our need of trades type things.

I have a screen enclosure around my pool that needs the screen replaced I have tried for over a year to find a guy. I could not even get an estimate. I finally found a guy, talking to him he has more work than he can possibly do. Has tried over and over to hire help, he says when he does find a guy many last less than a day and he never sees them again. My neighbor an upholsterer has tried to get his sons or outside help no luck. He is in his 80''s and going to retire unable to find anyone anywhere to pass his business on to. He has an excellent business. Reviewed in magazines over and over. SHAME!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The "need for the services of the trades" is NOT going to disappear. Rest assured: Someone will takeover those positions. Now the cost of that labor may be the same as it is now for a "Professional" but that is the way the cookie crumbles. The law of supply and demand.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

dusty wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:40 pm The "need for the services of the trades" is NOT going to disappear. Rest assured: Someone will takeover those positions. Now the cost of that labor may be the same as it is now for a "Professional" but that is the way the cookie crumbles. The law of supply and demand.
That is exactly what I hear in podcasts from AI pundits like Gary Marcus. Until artificial intelligence can deal with all the complex, atypical, non-routine and/or creative decisions that have to be made while doing plumbing, carpentry, or any other trade, those jobs are secure. Its all the middle managers and clerical types whose jobs are on the block in the near future. And I suspect that even should all routine furniture making, home construction and so on become automated and woodworking evolve into a hobby with no way of making money from it, there will always be people interested in trying their hand at some aspect of the craft. Perhaps they will be attracted by the material itself, or the tools, or the problem-solving side of making things or the desire to keep some of the old ways alive or the sense of self-sufficiency and competence that comes with a successfully completed project. Or simply because humans create.

JPG: I'm still here...I try to check in and read the posts every day, but its just a busy time of the year. Lots of getting ready for the Holidays. Thankfully the weather has been mild, so I have only had to spend one morning running the snowthrower.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser