WHERE Y'ALL AT???

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: WHERE Y'ALL AT???

Post by algale »

stephen_a._draper wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:16 am They are literally dying from old age. This forum is used primarily by old folks now that don't want to change. Even though I am 72, I rarely look at this forum anymore. Statistically over 75% of people in all age groups are using Facebook Groups and Youtube primarily now. That is where I go.

According to a 2021 survey by Pew Research Center, 84% of adults aged 18 to 29 use social media sites, which is similar to the share of those aged 30 to 49 who say this (81%). By comparison, a somewhat smaller share of those aged 50 to 64 (73%) say they use social media sites, while fewer than half of those 65 and older (45%) report doing this1.
Harsh but also hard to argue with this.

I use social media, including being on several FB shopsmith groups, but the format of social media doesn't really lend itself to the things that made this forum so interesting to me -- long build/restoration threads. In addition, the quality of the information being bandied about there in response to questions doesn't measure up to the quality I routinely see/saw here. We were lucky to have a ton of Shopsmith-specific experience in this forum and still do. But we appear to have lost some of our elder statesmen.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Their loss!

I have never experienced a social media site that was not as Betty White once said "what a terrible waste of time".

Too many folks want quick answers that result from minimal consideration.

end rant!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

algale wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:38 am ...the format of social media doesn't really lend itself to the things that made this forum so interesting to me -- long build/restoration threads. In addition, the quality of the information being bandied about there in response to questions doesn't measure up to the quality I routinely see/saw here.
The general quality of the info is low, and on FB in particular it can infuriating to go back and try to re-find something you saw earlier
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

stephen_a._draper wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:16 am They are literally dying from old age. This forum is used primarily by old folks now that don't want to change. Even though I am 72, I rarely look at this forum anymore. Statistically over 75% of people in all age groups are using Facebook Groups and Youtube primarily now. That is where I go.

According to a 2021 survey by Pew Research Center, 84% of adults aged 18 to 29 use social media sites, which is similar to the share of those aged 30 to 49 who say this (81%). By comparison, a somewhat smaller share of those aged 50 to 64 (73%) say they use social media sites, while fewer than half of those 65 and older (45%) report doing this1.
Says he who thinks content pre 520(10,5,505,510) is redundant and wants to prevent half of those interested in a local user group from joining.

Needless to say I am critical of that "thinking".
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

FWIW, who has more experienced knowledge? A teenager or an octogenarian?(all else being equal)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:06 pm FWIW, who has more experienced knowledge? A teenager or an octogenarian?(all else being equal)
Experience doing what?? My grandson has much more experience playing soccer than I do.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Of course "what" matters. We just pay attention to different whats than youngsters.(as well as differing values)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝