Heritical Table Saw Question

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Heritical Table Saw Question

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:21 am
Ed in Tampa wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:33 am
RFGuy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:58 am
Be careful what you wish for...I should know!!! Going back to lurker only mode again now since most of the forum doesn't want me here.

Why do you say the forum does not want you here? I have always enjoyed your comments. Perhaps the person or persons that does not want you here should be the ones to go instead.
Stick around!

+1

Some folks are simply lazy and do not like reading detailed 'stuff'.

Let those sleeping pups lie!;>}

Ed, JPG, (and couple others that private messaged me before),

Thanks. I appreciate it. I will mostly remain in lurker mode, but on the rare occasion that I think I can contribute in a meaningful way to the forum I will try to chime in (like I did on this thread). My views on woodworking, tools and the world in general seem to run contrary to the bulk of active members on the forum so I will continue in self imposed exile. I love many aspects of my Shopsmith tools, but hate some aspects and also love some other brand tools. The latter two get me in trouble too often here so participating regularly has become too exhausting for me. Being labelled already a heretic on this forum, I loved the title of this thread!
:D :D :D

P.S. For those few of you that "get" my posts and understand my humor, I truly, truly appreciate you and wish we could converse more. Take care and hope everyone has a wonderful holiday.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

In order to reduce the exhaustion, refrain from defending your thinking from those who have a differing view.

Then concentrate on that which matters!

BTW conversation is two(or more) sided and should include differing levels of understanding.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:12 pm In order to reduce the exhaustion, refrain from defending your thinking from those who have a differing view.

Then concentrate on that which matters!

BTW conversation is two(or more) sided and should include differing levels of understanding.
JPG,

Thanks. Wise words, but....

I welcome diverse thoughts and views on this forum...from my vantage point I don't see this often enough here. I can say 10 different things about Shopsmith equipment on this forum, 9 positive, 1 negative as an example. The 9 positive things I say get ignored and the 1 negative thing I say gets jumped on and attacked by the "echo chamber" of Shopsmith fanatics. Ironically many in the echo chamber don't post regularly, but as soon as I say something to wake them up, then they pounce. This is the exhaustion that I speak of. Having contributed here for several years now, this has been building up and isn't a one specific thread reaction on my part, but you should recognize (and remember) the thread that broke the camel's back so-to-speak...

CreekWood,

Apologies...didn't intend to hijack your thread. I hope my earlier post was useful to give you some ideas on what to do with your Delta 36-725 TS.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

CreekWood,

I acquired a used 36" Sawstop 3HP PCS a few years ago, later added a cast iron router wing in which I put my lift and a 3.25 HP router. This is a sweet setup, strong, solid, smooth, comparatively quiet, etc., but took more than a few coins. It's also a bit unwieldy to move in my garage and there's not much room underneath, especially with the router dust box in the way, although I do have thoughts about eventually putting something under there.

Have you seen some of the torsion box assembly table/workbench setups that Youtuber Ron Paulk has plans for that often incorporate some sort of portable saw and router insert? If not, you might want to peruse a few of his videos for potential ideas.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

roy_okc wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:02 pm Have you seen some of the torsion box assembly table/workbench setups that Youtuber Ron Paulk has plans for that often incorporate some sort of portable saw and router insert? If not, you might want to peruse a few of his videos for potential ideas.
Roy,

That is a great idea and I forgot about those. He came out with a newer version of his design about 1-2 years ago where you drop in a compact contractor table saw flush with the top surface. He has kind of gone overboard with dropping in just about every tool imaginable with additional inserts/panels to attach to the main workbench. He sells plans for his bench designs at the link below. Including just one YT video from Ron to give CreekWood more info on them.

https://thesmartwoodshop.com/

📶RF Guy

roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

RFGuy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:25 pm Roy,

That is a great idea and I forgot about those. He came out with a newer version of his design about 1-2 years ago where you drop in a compact contractor table saw flush with the top surface.
RFGuy,

I've seen other vids and forum postings of people who have taken the assembly table concept, but built it out as a roll around cabinet, rather than knock down like Paulk's designs. They typically incorporate a small saw and router lift. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I've seen them, LOL.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

roy_okc wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:31 pm RFGuy,

I've seen other vids and forum postings of people who have taken the assembly table concept, but built it out as a roll around cabinet, rather than knock down like Paulk's designs. They typically incorporate a small saw and router lift. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I've seen them, LOL.
Roy,

Thanks. Yeah, I have seen quite a few variants of his design around YT for awhile, but I totally forgot about it for this thread. He's been selling this concept for quite a while and many YT woodworkers started ripping off his design and selling their own versions. Some YT woodworkers started calling others out for this, in support of Ron. His new design, IMHO, is a bit over the top with all of the additional attachable worktables. It is a neat idea, but just too much I think to be practical unless you are a contractor going to job sites. I believe he worked with TSO to create those Power Loc bench connector dogs which is what you have to use to connect those attachable worktables to the main table. IF I can find a smaller version example like you mention, I will try to post it here. There have just been so many different variants of his design floating around online, it can be hard to find just the right one to post as an example.
📶RF Guy

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

RFGuy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:53 am Ed, JPG, (and couple others that private messaged me before),

Thanks. I appreciate it. I will mostly remain in lurker mode, but on the rare occasion that I think I can contribute in a meaningful way to the forum I will try to chime in (like I did on this thread). My views on woodworking, tools and the world in general seem to run contrary to the bulk of active members on the forum so I will continue in self imposed exile. I love many aspects of my Shopsmith tools, but hate some aspects and also love some other brand tools. The latter two get me in trouble too often here so participating regularly has become too exhausting for me. Being labelled already a heretic on this forum, I loved the title of this thread!
:D :D :D

P.S. For those few of you that "get" my posts and understand my humor, I truly, truly appreciate you and wish we could converse more. Take care and hope everyone has a wonderful holiday.
Ok, I wasn't totally clear with my recent posts and for that I sincerely apologize, so I do need to add some clarification. Easiest to add it here, so I apologize to the OP. I LOVE my Shopsmith equipment, but it isn't perfect, like me. I choose to sometimes talk about those deficiencies on this forum, but I also try to emphasize what works well and my adoration for the tool to attempt to present a balanced and as unbiased viewpoint as I can. Those of you who love Shopsmith and present well reasoned, thoughtful, respectful posts, I adore you. Those of you who are Shopsmith fanboys who like to nitpick and overly critique my posts - those who ignore all the positive aspects I say about Shopsmith and zero in on one negative thing I say about the company or its products, I am tired of responding to you. Perhaps I will take JPG's sage advice and just not respond to you even though I would rather have a constructive dialogue. There is a definitive difference between loving Shopsmith and being a Shopsmith fanboy (part of the echo chamber). I can't give you a hard and fast rule to delineate the difference between the two, but if you present well reasoned, thoughtful, respectful posts I will always respect and appreciate them. At any time, if I have offended you or not countered with a well reasoned, thoughtful and respectful post in response then I profusely apologize. I hope this clears up my recent activity and where I stand, but if it doesn't then I am sure someone will let me know.
📶RF Guy

CreekWood
Gold Member

Post by CreekWood »

Hey, RFGuy...at least you can spell "heretic".... obviously I can't!

Roy, thanks for pointing out the Paulk video. I think all this good conversation is just confirming that I need to double my 512 sqft workspace (I'm seriously planning for that), and within that space make three focal areas in open space of the floor: the table saw, an assembly table, and then a space into which I can roll and swap out the drum sander bench, a planer cart, my "traditional hand tool" bench, or ....drum roll....the 520.

I laughed when Ron Paulk said any plywood on sawhorses gets cluttered. I have a bathroom vanity in the shop, temporarily waiting for me to paint the bathroom -- the vanity is already full of woodworking tools!
Mark V 500 upgraded to 520
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
Bosch 1617EVS & Router Table
Craftsman 351.23371 Planer
Performax 16-32 Thickness Sander (finally tracking right!)
...and a growing collection of traditional hand tools.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

TWO open minds are required to have a constructive dialog.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange