Hoping to clear up a misperception

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Would you like RFGuy to continue to be an active member of this forum?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 26

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Hoping to clear up a misperception

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

In another thread this morning, forum member RFGuy expressed his belief that "most of the forum doesn't want me here". I have no clue why he believes that, as I've always enjoyed his posts. Plus I've always wanted to try creating one of these poll threads, and it seemed like an expedient way to arrive at the truth of the matter. What say you?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Hoping to clear up a misperception

Post by JPG »

Beware! Let us not allow this to be a precedent for a purge war!

I consider this thread a legitimate attempt to 'right' a misconception(where it resides I leave for the reader to surmise).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Yes vote here. I've also always had very positive discussions with RFGuy and find his posts generally insightful.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

IMHO of course he should stay. I agree with Roy...RFGuy has posted his opinions, expressed clearly and honestly, and if they cause others to rethink some long-cherished notions, well that's a good thing in my book.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Always enjoy his posts!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

I'll speak up and say that I was (at least part if not all) of his decision to self-exile. In the thread about SS changing hands, in light of his consistent and uniformly negative comments about Nick Capps, his constant referral to Capps as "St. Nick" seem to me (and to a few others who chimed in) to be snark. When I questioned him on the snark he decided to leave.

Don't know Capps from Adam, I'm not defending Capps, and I'm not an unquestioning SS fanboy. (I'm fairly new to SS and I like the tool. I think it's well-engineered and well-made. But obviously to get all the functionality out of it they did, they had to make compromises. That's just life. I use my MV in ways that play to its strong suits and for things that don't, I use other tools.)

I voted for RFGuy to stay
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I did not observe 'negative' comments re Nick CUPPS ///Caps///oops///, but rather a cautious tentativeness re promises that are inferred because of observations of similar new venture ownership. Only time will tell if that conservative bent is right or to what degree it may be unjustified.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Isn't his name Cupps?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

edma194 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:54 pm Isn't his name Cupps?
Going by memory. Sorry! ;-)
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Post by thedovetailjoint »

I've always appreciated his insights. And yes, it's Nick Cupps, who never presented himself a Shopsmith's savior.
http://www.Youtube.com/user/MyGrowthRings
http://Shopsmith-Tool-Hunter.Blogspot.com
http://www.Tool-Hunter.com