Norm and his shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lew
Gold Member

Norm and his shopsmith

Post by lew »

I found this enjoyable both for nostalgia and seeing a shop full of mostly attainable tools.
https://youtu.be/BkpL42aLEAg
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Norm and his shopsmith

Post by edma194 »

We have friends on Nantucket with a table like that they built, probably 50 years ago. I didn't realize it was a common style in the area. Unfortunately most of the family has passed away from old age and tragedy but one of the sons of family told me how he and his father built that table. I've seen an episode of the Woodwright's Shop showing the construction of a similar table also.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Wow...thanks! I don't think I ever saw Norm using Shopsmith equipment in his shop. I have no idea what season I started watching it with my Dad as a kid, but clearly it must have been after season 1. I still idolize Norm like I am sure a lot of woodworkers do. Thanks for sharing this.
:D
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:44 pm Wow...thanks! I don't think I ever saw Norm using Shopsmith equipment in his shop. I have no idea what season I started watching it with my Dad as a kid, but clearly it must have been after season 1. I still idolize Norm like I am sure a lot of woodworkers do. Thanks for sharing this.
:D
Norm used the Shopsmith during season one of New Yankee Workshop and even then he did not highlight it. It is my opinion that he dropped Shopsmith and began working with Delta.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:44 pm Norm used the Shopsmith during season one of New Yankee Workshop and even then he did not highlight it. It is my opinion that he dropped Shopsmith and began working with Delta.
Dusty,

Thanks. Yeah, I kind of figured it must have been a product sponsorship deal thing. I remember the Delta commercials that sponsored the New Yankee Workshop. They probably made him not show it in the videos, I would guess. Wish he still used it and showed it throughout the seasons. I will have to go back and try to watch season 1 now.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Post by thedovetailjoint »

Norm was not involved in the decision. Shopsmith supplied a load of tools for Norm's use, and after we (The staff of Shopsmith's "Boston" store) delivered and aligned the tools for their use, they insisted that we come back and cover or remove all the logos. At the time Shopsmith was battling several Taiwanese clones, so making the tools generic didn't advance Shopsmith's position in their battle one bit, so at the end of the first season Shopsmith pulled-out. When we delivered those tools the shop already contained a Mark V equipped with a lathe duplicator and a bandsaw, which Norm and Bob had used previously on a couple episodes of This Old House.
http://www.Youtube.com/user/MyGrowthRings
http://Shopsmith-Tool-Hunter.Blogspot.com
http://www.Tool-Hunter.com