End of Producation Years Needed

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

End of Producation Years Needed

Post by stephen_a._draper »

I am looking for the following information:
The year the 500 was no longer available to purchase from Shopsmith.
The year the 510 was no longer available to purchase from Shopsmith.

Could have been many years after the next model was introduced. I know that the 510 was introduced in 1987 and the 520 in 1999.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: End of Producation Years Needed

Post by nuhobby »

I got my 510 brand-new in 2007. Still loving it!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Here is the best information I have for those dates.

At one time the history page listed that the Mark V 500 was discontinued in 2014. That history page entry has since been deleted. I don't know how well you can trust all of the history page entries. Even the new Website history page with updates still incorrectly begins with "Mark V (Model 500) Magna America put this American classic 5-in-1 tool into production in 1953." Which is incorrect as it was Magna Engineering Corporation that put the Mark 5 into production. It was simply the Mark 5 as there were no other Mark models at the time. Magna America didn't have the Shopsmith/Magna Tool Line until the 1960's after Yuba. I'll get off my soapbox now without commenting on Smart Motors.

In November of 2019 the Mark V 510 was no longer listed in the online catalog. There was no announcement for the Mark V 510 being discontinued, it just simply disappeared. The Mark V 505 was no longer listed in the online catalog prior to that time.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
stephen_a._draper
Gold Member

Post by stephen_a._draper »

From What I can tell looking at the serial number page on Shopsmith website there were just over 225,000 Shopsmith Mark V 500 machines manufactured from 1971 thru 1987 when that model was no longer available for sale.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

stephen_a._draper wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:49 am From What I can tell looking at the serial number page on Shopsmith website there were just over 225,000 Shopsmith Mark V 500 machines manufactured from 1971 thru 1987 when that model was no longer available for sale.
I believe that reflects the company's decision to discontinue serial numbers, and that the Mark V Model 500 continued for many years afterward. The company stopped using SNs and started using a date code instead.

I find it noteworthy that the company no longer lists a Mark 5/V. What was a Mark V Model 520 has been superseded by a Mark 520S. There is no Model designation on any of the current offerings. There is not a lot of difference between Mark V Model 520 and Mark 520S if you order the version with all work packages.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

David said and is correct,
I believe that reflects the company's decision to discontinue serial numbers, and that the Mark V Model 500 continued for many years afterward. The company stopped using SNs and started using a date code instead.
December 1987 is when Shopsmith Inc. changed from actual serial numbers to date codes. The Mark V 500 continued after that time. Early Mark V 510 did have actual serial numbers but like all other items with serial numbers (Marks and SPT's) changed to date codes too.

As for the change from Mark V 520 to Mark V 520S I believe from the pictures on the website that the Mark V 520S has Double Tilt ends but I cannot confirm this. Below is a picture of the Mark V 520S from the online catalog showing Double Tilt ends.

_
Mark V Model 520S.jpg
Mark V Model 520S.jpg (42.36 KiB) Viewed 17906 times
Another thing the picture shows is holes in the legs for both 2" and 3" casters.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.