What have you purchased from Shopsmith recently?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Matanuska
Gold Member

Re: What have you purchased from Shopsmith recently?

Post by Matanuska »

admin wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:19 pm I am testing a page to show order history (requires that the person is logged into the new website and has verified their email address).
If you'd like to help test it, the link is https://shopsmith.com/order-history
I logged into the new website but when I tried the link I got the message:

“Email Must Be Validated to Show Order History - Code: 601”

What do I need to do to verify my e-mail?
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

One thing I see that is "missing" in the data for mine is orders from a live demo in Lowe's. I don't know if this is a solvable 'problem' or not. If I was hoping to find all of this information in one place then it would be ideal if the Lowe's data was included.

- David
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Matanuska wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:05 pm
admin wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:19 pm I am testing a page to show order history (requires that the person is logged into the new website and has verified their email address).
If you'd like to help test it, the link is https://shopsmith.com/order-history
I logged into the new website but when I tried the link I got the message:

“Email Must Be Validated to Show Order History - Code: 601”

What do I need to do to verify my e-mail?
Thanks to the admin for an account validation link. I can now check my order history but it's empty as is my address information.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
sawdustfun
Silver Member

Post by sawdustfun »

Just used the link included in the test of purchase history. Just did a quick check & found it went back to at least 1999, maybe more & appears to be accurate & correct. Includes data transfered over from the old system. Thankyou very much.
Bob C aka sawdustfun
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:59 am It is not the migration that 'stinks'. It is the lack of planning by those implementing the migration that stinks.
Having been in the software and data migration business I must express sympathy for those involved here. They made one crucial planning mistake which was not maintaining the old website until the new one was completely shaken out. And as usual I'm sure the decision was not made on a technical basis.
CreekWood wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:38 am Data migration stinks. Definitely not what I want to do when I grow up.
When I grew up I saw common mistakes made by businesses as an opportunity. People pay more to have someone dig them out of the hole they ended up in than they paid to have someone dig them into that hole to begin with. That's life in software.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
CreekWood
Gold Member

Post by CreekWood »

My "when I grow up" comment was tongue-in-cheek. I grew up as a network admin, where I learned to apply PM skills. Then management believed I should be able to oversee teams of developers and DBAs doing mysterious software stuff. No heavy boxes to lift, no warehouse to inventory -- I just had to intuitively read people and know when to trust they were capable of building code, data tables and reports. I "retired" so that I could "cross over to the dark side" and work for a consultanting firm. But data migrations have always been a headache--either because no one's left to interpret the old data, or it's a challenge to map apples to oranges. I can growl at those so-called "agile" teams, but I have a soft spot for the data migration folks.
Mark V 500 upgraded to 520
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
Bosch 1617EVS & Router Table
Craftsman 351.23371 Planer
Performax 16-32 Thickness Sander (finally tracking right!)
...and a growing collection of traditional hand tools.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

What strikes me is that it appears to me to be a simple redirection function that allows the old link targets to be found.

Now IF it truely IS that simple, could not those redirections now taking place have been done immediately(assuming adequate research to identify them) upon transferring from old to new????

i.e. WHY are "we" doing the legwork to identify them since only the high order parts of the link are affected.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ArthurAndersen50
Silver Member

Post by ArthurAndersen50 »

A dust cover for my bandsaw, and a dust cover for my jointer. I wanted a dust cover for the SS scroll saw but they were all out. I figured they had dust covers for the new Excaliber and it was probably the same size, but I was told the were all out of this too.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am skeptical that the Excaliber cover would fit properly.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I am less skeptical than JPG as to whether or not a made for Excaliber Scroll Saw cover would fit very well on the Shopsmith Scroll Saws. The cover for the Shopsmith Scroll Saws were not as form fitting as other covers. The biggest difference I can see from the catalog picture is the Excaliber has what appears to be a motor mounted on the side of the frame between the arms.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.