FORUM LINKS

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

FORUM LINKS

Post by JPG »

If this has been 'reported' before, I apologize, BUT, I just realized how pervasive it is.

ALL the links in MickyD's reference thread result in a 404 error.

I have not tried some of my restoration links, but I presume they also suffer.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: FORUM LINKS

Post by RFGuy »

JPG,

This is what I complained about a few times recently, but I don't think everyone realized how broken old threads are now because of this new website. I cherish old threads on this forum and often refer back to them and it is annoying to have so many broken links. Often a poster, like myself, may refer to the old Shopsmith website for a particular part, accessory or SPT reference, etc. and these are all broken. Other times, we refer to past threads and link them in new posts and because of the name change in the DNS for the forum it has broken these as well. It may be an easy fix, I don't know, but it is a significant reason why I left the forum recently because I felt so disappointed in that all of the hard work I had put into my posts in the past, that hopefully helped forum members at that time, but also into the future, had been lost. :mad: It felt pointless to continue to post here if the forum is being abandoned as Shopsmith remakes itself leaving all of our past forum contributions in the trash bin. IF they are committed to this forum, they need to show it and fix these broken links in all of the past threads that got created with this new website changeover. In my opinion, they killed the "living history" that I spoke about here:

viewtopic.php?p=312757#p312757
Last edited by RFGuy on Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Oh, I figured that links that referenced the mothership for parts #s, diagrams, etc., were busted, but I didn't realize that the threads that internally reference or link to other threads are broken, too. That is a real shame.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

JPG wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:08 pm Did some snooping(research.trial....)

Current url for forum links... is [viewtopic.php?t=xxxxx]

Old links url is [https://WWW.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=yyyyy ]

I need to verify the accuracy of this, so until I edit this to say it is accurate, take with a shaker of salt!!!

CURRENTLY ACCURATE

A work around is:

When the 404 error occurs,capture the yyyyy(reference number), back out to the page linked from, change the xxxxx in that destination url to yyyyy.

Enter will take you to the old post. NOT QUITE correct, the altered url needs to have t=xxxxx, not something else(p=...).....see below

FWIW pasting what follows htm? with what follows php? has worked.

Also external(to the forum) links seem to be ok.

I am forwarding this to ADMIN - hope it helps.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I just clicked on a dozen or so links (MickyD) and they all worked. Not an exhaustive test but maybe admin has been there already.

On the other hand, maybe I am not testing right. I am in the current forum website (forum/shopsmith.com) and not the new shopsmith.com
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:32 pm I just clicked on a dozen or so links (MickyD) and they all worked. Not an exhaustive test but maybe admin has been there already.

On the other hand, maybe I am not testing right. I am in the current forum website (forum/shopsmith.com) and not the new shopsmith.com
Dusty,

I checked a couple of thread links for the forum and those appear fixed now, but the one at the link below does NOT work. Also, all of the broken original Shopsmith website links are broken. I get a return of 404: Not Found error when clicking the link in my post at the thread below:

viewtopic.php?p=266130#p266130
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

RF GUY That link works now!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:45 pm RF GUY That link works now!!!
JPG,

You have to click on the link inside of the link, i.e. the link inside of the thread I linked. To make it easier, I re-posted that earlier thread post below now. Try clicking on the link below this line.

OLD POST BELOW THAT DOESN"T WORK: Try clicking link.
Meng88 wrote:Thanks! I would have never figured that out! Now if I had the complete rest. Unfortunately mine is missing a part. Anyone know if shopsmith sells parts to this tool rest? Or just the complete thing? Can’t find anything on their website.

I’m missing the part the the tool rest fits into. The little rectangle that attaches to the arm.
You should be able to purchase individual parts for the UTR. I ordered my UTR new last year, and unfortunately half of it got lost in shipping with Fedex. Shopsmith sent me the replacement parts so that I could finally get a whole UTR. Also, once I finally got all the parts, it didn't work at first. The Top Support and the Support Base need to be machined together, i.e. a matched set so that the bore holes line up. Unfortunately, Shopsmith sent me mismatched pieces for this, so the 1" bore hole was not aligned causing the Tool Support & Shaft Assembly to bind up and be unable to turn freely when the Top Support was fastened. In the end Shopsmith sent me a new Support Base that worked. So, it seems like they have spare parts to assemble a UTR, so I don't see why they wouldn't sell the replacements to you. I assume you have the exploded parts diagram for the UTR? If not, check out this thread where I posted it:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... he#p265642
📶RF Guy

benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

I too have been a little frustrated with the broken links in this forum. The wealth of knowledge here is amazing and it is sad to see so many links on any given subject no longer working. Hopefully this can be fixed.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Would like to understand how they fixed some links in past threads and not others. I gave an example above. Can someone else take a look and confirm? For me, the link to my past thread gives a 404 Error. Thanks.
📶RF Guy