Inexpensive Wood For Turning

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rcsaylor
Silver Member

Inexpensive Wood For Turning

Post by rcsaylor »

I have played around some with the lathe and I'm looking for some inexpensive wood to play with. No bowl turning yet, looking to turn spindles. Possibley to make Christmas trees. Size 4 X 4. I tryed some nonpresure treated fir, to rough.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Inexpensive Wood For Turning

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

How long do you need it? Firewood is a great source of inexpensive hardwood. But if you need it longer, you’ll have to get it before it is cut short, and it will probably be green.
edflorence
Platinum Member

Re: Inexpensive Wood For Turning

Post by edflorence »

rcsaylor;

You might consider gluing up your blanks from some box store 1 by poplar. Not too expensive, and the mild grain makes it much easier to turn than fir. You can do the same with construction grade "white wood" by cutting your glue up stock from between the knots. Won't likely work if you need very long pieces, though, unless you get lucky sorting through the boards and find one with widely scattered knots..
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser