520/Pro Fence lock adjustments

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: 520/Pro Fence lock adjustments

Post by algale »

jsburger wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:49 pm As for the dry lube cleanup, II don't know. I don't use graphite. I use Boeshield T-9. No clean up required.
Now he tells me. :rolleyes:
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

algale wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:51 pm
jsburger wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:49 pm As for the dry lube cleanup, II don't know. I don't use graphite. I use Boeshield T-9. No clean up required.
Now he tells me. :rolleyes:

Sorry :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Al, IIRC denatured alcohol cleans up graphite nicely.
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

Brenda recently viewtopic.php?p=299309#p299309 advised using alcohol as a solvent for dry graphite. This allows the graphite to be applied as a liquid rather than as a dry dust.

I avoided graphite powder lube because of the mess and application difficulty. Then I tried Brenda's idea. Big improvement. My method is to syringe-inject the alcohol directly into the plastic squeeze tube that the graphite comes in, and then shake the tube before every application.

Now I never have to handle the graphite directly, and I can put graphite exactly where I want it, and no more graphite dust everywhere. The alcohol evaporates and leaves a dry graphite film. Great for wherever we don't want exposed oil.

I have a can of Boeshield. Rave reviews for it online, but it is really expensive and I don't know that it leaves any lube when dry, or is any better than WD-40.

Thanks Brenda, and Merry Christmas to all!
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I was using a PB Blaster brand aerosol. More of grenade type weapon than a precision sniper rifle. Thanks for the tips on removal. Denatured alcohol and some "elbow grease" got rid of the excess film. My fence is all tuned up. Even managed to horizontal bore a 3/4" forstner bit into end grain with no fence movement w/o backing up the fence. (Although I did have the main table tied into the extension table with the 520 extension tubes).
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!