4" lift on a Greenie

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tfrayne
Gold Member

4" lift on a Greenie

Post by tfrayne »

Ever notice how projects lead to projects?

I set out to make an awesome Lazy Susan tool/accessory cabinet for my Mk V 520.

While planing down the initial pieces for the butcher board tables, my planer broke. I looked on CraigsList for a used planer. I did not find one.

I did, however, find a 1956 Greenie Mk V 500 for $140. In retrospect I may have overpaid for it. It was not running, had no main or axillary tables and was missing the tailstock. It came with a jointer and the original jigsaw.

I spent the rest of the spring and into the summer rebuilding and restoring it. My intention was to make this a dedicated lathe. All work in my shop was put on hold when the TX heat set in. In the fall I finished the restoration project and decided to get a Nova ProTex chuck for it. I added a 510 carriage because I plan to add a Universal Tool Rest.

Well, then I just HAD to try out bowl turning! (Without a trip to the E.R....)

On my third bowl, my workpiece was out of balance and it actually made the greenie walk across the floor. When I finally finished the bowl (a Christmas present for my son) I decided I needed to find a way to make the greenie stay put. I also wanted to raise it up to a more comfortable turning height.

I did NOT want to alter the machine in any way, so no cutting or poking holes.

Here is what I came up with.
4 Inch lift 02.jpeg
4 Inch lift 02.jpeg (64.64 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
4 Inch lift 03.jpeg
4 Inch lift 03.jpeg (60.17 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
4 Inch lift 01.jpeg
4 Inch lift 01.jpeg (86.63 KiB) Viewed 1650 times

I am estimating I added about 125-150 lb to the overall weight. The Mk V is pulled to the surface of the pallet by the two bars across the bench tubes and down to the T Track. I still need to add retractable casters, but that can wait because it does not need to be moved often.

I still want to make my own knobs for it, but I temporarily used 1/4-20 knobs from another jig. I also need to break it all down for a couple coats of polyurethane and to add epoxy to the T Track in addition to the screws it came with.

My initial plan was to build a 3 inch bottom that would hold about 150lb of concrete underneath. I can still do that if needed, but for now I will try just the four feet. It seems pretty stable and solid.

I tested it out on a piece of scrap wood and the height is much more comfortable. Also, I can tuck my tow underneath for better positioning.

And now, back to the Lazy Susan project!
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
tfrayne
Gold Member

Re: 4" lift on a Greenie

Post by tfrayne »

On second thought I will need to add more weight. I way overestimated the weight of the 2x4 lumber.

I have the pieces cut to rough lengths, but will wait until I get a set of retractable casters before building that part. Then with some rebar and cement, I will get the weight I am looking for, but still be able to move it if needed.
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!