Using an Incra miter gauge to set the angle on the Shopsmith miter gauge

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edflorence
Platinum Member

Re: Using an Incra miter gauge to set the angle on the Shopsmith miter gauge

Post by edflorence »

Clever idea and super useful I can see for setting those angles not covered by drafting triangles or the Miter Set. Here is another idea to get the job done. Using this angle gauge and a sliding bevel to set the miter gauge.
https://www.rockler.com/igaging-12-cent ... ngle-gauge
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

algale wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:54 pm You are right that the Incra needs to be aligned from the factory. But once the Incra is aligned it holds alignment. And mechanically it always returns to the same 90 position after being set to other angles.

You are right that you can set the 90 degree on the Shopsmith (or Incra) with a precision square. But the intriguing thing here is the Incra will let me set the Shopsmith gauge to any angle, I want -- not just 90. There are some precision protractors that could be used to do that,too, but I don't own one. I view this set up as an alternative to the Miter Set if you already own the 520 and a Shopsmith-edition Incra miter gauge that will fit in the 520 fence slots.
Alan,

I agree, as an alternative to a Miter Set this is a great alternative and should be accurate. I have to assume that the Incra factory alignment should be good, but I just wanted to point out a potential caveat for it. Also, probably a mindset thing for me...having worked in a lab for many years I am used to working with a known standard to measure with. The translation to woodworking is the precision square is the known standard to reference against. I tend to always go back to one of my high quality squares, but with a good factory alignment the Incra V120 could also be considered as one as well. One question that I have is are the T track channels in the top of the 520 fence the same dimensions as the T tracks in the main table? I remember that the Shopsmith miter slots are non-standard to the rest of the industry. I have the Jessem T track and stock hold down guides mounted on the top of my 520 fence. I just wanted to try my Shopsmith miter gauge and my Incra V120 miter gauge to see how snug they are in the T track of the 520 fence. I can't do this without taking the Jessem T track off. Just curious how well the Shopsmith 520 fence matches the main table T track. In other words, did Shopsmith engineer the 520 fence extrusion? If not and the 520 fence extrusion is a standard industry one, then the T track slots could be too large for the Shopsmith miter gauge bar, right?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:20 am
algale wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:54 pm You are right that the Incra needs to be aligned from the factory. But once the Incra is aligned it holds alignment. And mechanically it always returns to the same 90 position after being set to other angles.

You are right that you can set the 90 degree on the Shopsmith (or Incra) with a precision square. But the intriguing thing here is the Incra will let me set the Shopsmith gauge to any angle, I want -- not just 90. There are some precision protractors that could be used to do that,too, but I don't own one. I view this set up as an alternative to the Miter Set if you already own the 520 and a Shopsmith-edition Incra miter gauge that will fit in the 520 fence slots.
Alan,

I agree, as an alternative to a Miter Set this is a great alternative and should be accurate. I have to assume that the Incra factory alignment should be good, but I just wanted to point out a potential caveat for it. Also, probably a mindset thing for me...having worked in a lab for many years I am used to working with a known standard to measure with. The translation to woodworking is the precision square is the known standard to reference against. I tend to always go back to one of my high quality squares, but with a good factory alignment the Incra V120 could also be considered as one as well. One question that I have is are the T track channels in the top of the 520 fence the same dimensions as the T tracks in the main table? I remember that the Shopsmith miter slots are non-standard to the rest of the industry. I have the Jessem T track and stock hold down guides mounted on the top of my 520 fence. I just wanted to try my Shopsmith miter gauge and my Incra V120 miter gauge to see how snug they are in the T track of the 520 fence. I can't do this without taking the Jessem T track off. Just curious how well the Shopsmith 520 fence matches the main table T track. In other words, did Shopsmith engineer the 520 fence extrusion? If not and the 520 fence extrusion is a standard industry one, then the T track slots could be too large for the Shopsmith miter gauge bar, right?
The t-tracks on the 520 extrusion are the same as the 510/520 main table.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the 520 rip fence aluminum extrusion was designed to SS specifications.

As well as all other SS aluminum extrusions.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange