Repair scroll saw blower

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Mjc79
Bronze Member

Repair scroll saw blower

Post by Mjc79 »

Hi all

And Merry Christmas
Has anyone had any luck rebuilding or repairing the blower for the scroll saw?
Any suggestions or thoughts

Thanks
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Repair scroll saw blower

Post by chapmanruss »

Mjc79,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

I haven't had that problem with my Shopsmith Scroll Saw, so I haven't needed to repair that. I don't know how familiar you are with Shopsmith tools so I will respond with some very basic answers.

The first thing to Know is Shopsmith had two versions of their Scroll Saw. The first was the gray version and not of importance for you at this point there was two versions of the Table. Later came the teal Scroll Saw and more recently the Shopsmith Scroll Saw was replaced by the Excalibur 21" Variable-Speed Scroll Saw in which Shopsmith has teamed up with Excalibur to sell their Scroll Saw. It is important to know which Scroll Saw version you have since parts changed between the gray and teal Shopsmith Scroll Saws. As a discontinued tool many of the gray specific Scroll Saw parts are no longer available.

With the history lesson over you need to determine where the problem is. Most likely the pump but could be a blockage or kink in the tube. My first question is do you have a manual for your Scroll Saw? It will help in identifying the air pump parts. It also has the maintenance instructions such as lubricating the air pump seal. That seal is the place to start and does it need oil? A dry seal will not work very well. Inspect the pump and tubing for damage.

To help identify which Shopsmith Scroll Saw you have they are pictured below. The first is the gray Scroll Saw with the early table.

_
Model 555220 first table version.jpg
Model 555220 first table version.jpg (98.27 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
Below is the second table version of the gray Scroll Saw.

_
Gray Scroll Saw - second table version.jpg
Gray Scroll Saw - second table version.jpg (82 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
Below is the teal Scroll Saw.

_
Teal Scroll Saw.jpg
Teal Scroll Saw.jpg (103.75 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
These are the Mark Mount Scroll Saws and they also came in a stand mounted with a motor ready to use by themselves. Hopefully this information will get you started.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.