Best Xmas gift - Magna Air Compressor (plus question)

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Seezle
Gold Member

Best Xmas gift - Magna Air Compressor (plus question)

Post by Seezle »

I just unpacked one of the greatest surprise Xmas gifts I've ever received - a 1955 Magna Air Compressor.
AirCompressor.JPG
AirCompressor.JPG (57.1 KiB) Viewed 17423 times
I read up on it previously in the link below:

https://forum.shopsmith.com/viewtopic. ... or#p303753

as well as Chapmanruss' excellent deep dive into SPTs:

viewtopic.php?t=26072

It will be interesting to get this working on my 10er, I believe the first step would be to buy a Mark V SPT mounting adapter for 10ER via Skip.

I was wondering; could this possibly be used for sand or bead-blasting?
Last edited by Seezle on Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=================
Scott E.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Best Xmas gift - Magna Air Compressor

Post by jsburger »

Nice present.

As for bead blasting no not even close. You need A LOT of air for that application.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Seezle
Gold Member

Re: Best Xmas gift - Magna Air Compressor (plus question)

Post by Seezle »

Noted. I'll stick with spray painting for this one and keep my Central Pneumatic 150 PSI for low-level bead blasting.
=================
Scott E.
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Best Xmas gift - Magna Air Compressor

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:48 pm Nice present.

As for bead blasting no not even close. You need A LOT of air for that application.
Yes, it's the air volume issue, not pressure so much. A tank added to the Magna compressor might allow it to work, but if you have a larger compressor and air tank might as well use those. I have a pressure pot I bought used, needs a new valve on the output side, but using a siphon blaster inside my small cabinet works better than expected. I had the Harbor Freight portable sand blaster for a number of years, found it rather weak, but should have realized the hose it came with was too long and wasting all the pressure. With the relatively short hose inside the small cabinet the same type of siphon gun works rather well. So I think with the addition of an air tank, like a portable air tank like this nice aluminum one from Harbor Freight or any of the other small portable tank, then the Magna compressor can probably be used for a reasonable amount of abrasive blasting using most media.

This is also a good time of the year to pick up Harbor Freight items on sale. A lot of sale items have limited supply in stores which sometimes indicates the product is being dropped by them.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Seezle
Gold Member

Post by Seezle »

Ed: Thanks for your feedback, and explanations. You've also solved a longstanding issue for me: I have the same portable sand blaster and suffered repeat clogging while using it. T'was the long hose killer all along!

Thanks for that, seems so obvious. Next time I'll use a shorter one. Incredible deal on the aluminum tank! I am quickly becoming a Harbor Freight fan.
=================
Scott E.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Scott,

A nice addition to your Shopsmith/Magna Tool Collection. As John and Ed have already commented on, use your other compressor for working. Being 60 plus years old it will not be as reliable as your other compressor. As for replacing worn parts they are practically non-existent now. I can get air out of mine but once restored they will be "museum" pieces.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.