Trying out the flexible shaft on my 10er

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Trying out the flexible shaft on my 10er

Post by jsburger »

See the second picture in my post above. The SS version has a 5/8" female coupling with a set screw. It just slides over the spindle like any other arbor and tighten the set screw.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Ok, is the sheath free-floating on the flex shaft? In other words, the outer sheath is not rigidly attached to the headstock? if you turn on the machine without a grip on the sheath will it rotate along with the shaft? Doesn't sound great for doing detailed carving and engraving.

On page 10 of this manual for the Dremel Flex Shaft you can see that it has an inner shaft collar with set screw that attaches to the motor spindle, and an outer locking collar that threads on to the motor housing. It doesn't take much of a grip on the tool end of the shaft to keep it under control.

That product from Dremel and many imitators also has a foot pedal for control. Workable with a conventional headstock connected to a foot pedal maybe but that's kind of unsafe in itself. I would want to use this on my PowerPro drill press so waiting to hear of a foot pedal control for that someday.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hi Ed,

I know the Dremel Flexible Shaft you are talking about. I have 1 with my collection of Dremel tools. I don't know of a way to use the Dremel Flexible Shaft on the Model 10's or other Shopsmith tools like the Mark 5. It would take some kind of a custom-made adapter to do it. The Dremel Flexible Shaft has a collar that attaches to the outside case of the Dremel tool that keeps the outer sheath from rotating. The outer sheath of the Shopsmith and other brand Flexible Shafts are held from rotating by the user. Not a problem when the Flexible Shaft is properly lubricated.

The Flexible Shaft Adapter I mentioned in my previous post is shown below.

_
Part numbers 136-1X and later 12 329
Part numbers 136-1X and later 12 329
136-1X Flexible Shaft Adapter.jpg (82.6 KiB) Viewed 13407 times
Due to the size of the Shopsmith/Magna Flexible Shaft I would stick to the Dremel Flexible Shaft for detailed carving and engraving.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.