Looking for a 610 jigsaw part or repair technique

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Matanuska
Gold Member

Looking for a 610 jigsaw part or repair technique

Post by Matanuska »

Drat!
Does anyone have a 610 jigsaw blade guide bracket they would be willing to part with?
Has anyone had any luck soldering or brazing whatever metal Shopsmith used to make these?

IMG_2096.jpg
IMG_2096.jpg (141.02 KiB) Viewed 72815 times
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for a 610 jigsaw part or repair technique

Post by chapmanruss »

I don't know what kind of alloy it is made from. Since it holds one of the set screws, I don't think it would hold very well trying to solder or braze if you can even determine what metal it is made from. Like most of the Jig Saw parts it is no longer available from Shopsmith. It is something you will want to watch out for on the used market.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

J B WELD COMES TO MIND.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Update - I’ve been wanting to try out some of the low temperature Harbor Freight alumiweld brazing rods. I tested them on aluminum scrap and they worked great. Unfortunately, the “pot metal” alloy used for the jigsaw casting has a lower melting point than the low temp rods, so that was a no go. The good news is I discovered that with a little fiddling only the front set screw is needed to adjust the inner blade guide and anchor the outer barrel until I can find a replacement part. It may also be possible to make an acceptable replacement out of aluminum bar stock or perhaps even some very hard and dense ipe hardwood scrap I’ve got. More later.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have been thinking more about this part of the Jig Saw. Since its function does not put a heavy strain on it some inventive person with a 3D Printer may be able to make a suitable replacement.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

I had the same thought. Any 3D printer guru's out there who care to comment?
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Success! Just received the replacement part from an ebay seller. After striking out with a search for "Shopsmith 610 jigsaw parts" I took a shotgun approach and sent a "looking for" picture to a dozen ebay sellers who were offering Shopsmith items. Got 11 "Sorry, no" or "Have a jigsaw but not willing to part it out" or "Good luck finding that part it's like gold" responses but the 12th was "Sure, you can have it for $15, shipping included". My jigsaw is now good for another 55 years if the replacement part lasts as long the original.

What would we do without the internet? :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

:( Fill the landfil!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Glad you were able to find the part and reasonably priced too.
Russ

Mark V 520