Model 510 attachments need information

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bb1
Bronze Member

Model 510 attachments need information

Post by Bb1 »

Good afternoon: I had previously posted about a 510 I recently picked up for a very good price that came with a bunch of attachments. With winter here I have finally had a chance to check it all out. First thing I found is it would try to start for maybe 2-3 seconds and then blow the circuit breaker. Took it all apart and cleaned some hardened debris off the pulleys, took the motor right apart and cleaned it and found the start capacitor was hooped, changed it out and now runs perfectly. My questions now are about some of the attachments that came with it, 1st off is a jigsaw which is branded with a shopsmith badge but haven't been able to find any info on it?
unnamed (46).jpg
unnamed (46).jpg (165.33 KiB) Viewed 38193 times
and I can't figure out where or how to mount it, thinking it is missing parts? Next up is a Magna 4E jointer that looks to be belt driven and again I am missing the drive pulley for the power head and how to mount it?
unnamed (47).jpg
unnamed (47).jpg (203.43 KiB) Viewed 38193 times
unnamed (48).jpg
unnamed (48).jpg (166.61 KiB) Viewed 38193 times
, Any info is appreciated, Thanks, Bob
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Model 510 attachments need information

Post by edma194 »

The jigsaw is the version made to mount on a Model 10 headstock. I don't know if there's any way to mount it on a 510.

I think the joiner is the one made to mount on the left end casting of a Model 10 and driven by the main drive belt on the headstock motor. There's a picture of one in Everett Davis' Google Drive found at this link: viewtopic.php?t=16113. That one looks like it will take mounting tubes that maybe conform to the Model 500 SPT holes, so not exactly the same as yours.

They don't seem to be all that useful for a Model 510 without some custom adaptors.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Ed is correct. Those are both Model 10 SPT's and are not usable on a MK 5/V. In the background of the third picture is a Model 10 shaper fence and what looks line an extension table for a Model 10. Neither of those are compatible with a MK 5/V.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Bb1
Bronze Member

Post by Bb1 »

Thanks for the great information, looks like I will have some Model 10 attachments for sale! But is all good as I can add the right SPT's as I find them, still very happy with what I have here.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

The infeed table of the jointer appears to be badly bent in the side-view photo. Is it, or is that just an optical illusion? If it's real, I can't imagine what could have done it.

The hinge plate that is attached to the underside of the jointer is worth some money. Being cast iron, they break pretty easily, and so are generally in demand. It should be easy to sell on eBay.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Bb1,

As the others have already said you have some Model 10E and 10ER accessories including the Lathe Tool Rest Arm & post in your 1st picture not previously mentioned. It's on the shelf behind and to the left of the Jig Saw. It appears the person you bought the 510 from was also a Model 10E and/or 10ER fan at one time.

As Dennis said the Mounting Plate for the Model 4E Jointer can easily be broken especially if accidently dropped. I have a broken one as shown in the picture below. I would recommend removing it from the Jointer when not in use. It is easy to put back on when needed for use. Fortunately, I already have an extra Mounting Plate, Headrest, etc. for that Jointer.

_
Broken Model 4E Mounting Bracket.JPG
Broken Model 4E Mounting Bracket.JPG (272.16 KiB) Viewed 38119 times
Things to look for as you continue to go through the items that came with your 510 are pulleys used on the Model 10's. They would be a 2"-3"-4" step pulleys for both the Headstock and Motor. In addition, a 5" Pulley with a special motor shaft adapter and larger bore 3 step pulley for the motor which is the same bore as the 5" pulley. The special 3 step, 5" and shaft adapter are rarer finds like the Mounting bracket. The Model 4E Jointer set up on my Model 10ER can be seen in the picture below. All that is missing in the picture is the belt between the 5" motor pulley and the Jointer's pulley.

_
R64000 with Jointer.jpg
R64000 with Jointer.jpg (79.78 KiB) Viewed 38119 times
From your 1st picture I can see the Jig Saw is incomplete. It is missing the special Mounting Bolt and spacer shown in the picture below. It does not have the Sabre Saw Support assembly which mounts next to the Lower Chuck Assembly either. That support can be seen in the second picture below.

_
JIg Saw Mounting Bolt and Spacer.jpg
JIg Saw Mounting Bolt and Spacer.jpg (198.17 KiB) Viewed 38119 times
_
Jig Saw closeup.jpg
Jig Saw closeup.jpg (83.07 KiB) Viewed 38119 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.