First Project - Storage Cabinet

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Irmaplotz
Bronze Member

First Project - Storage Cabinet

Post by Irmaplotz »

After lurking around here for a really long-time and learning so much from the forums about how to set up and use my SS, I thought I'd share the results. My first build (other than a few safety jigs) is an understorage cabinet inspired by onetrack's build from several years back. viewtopic.php?t=15776
Under storage cabinet.jpg
Under storage cabinet.jpg (289.17 KiB) Viewed 199571 times
I'm going to wait until spring to put any finish on it. I may just throw some poly on it and call it done.
Before foam.jpg
Before foam.jpg (358.88 KiB) Viewed 199571 times
It does have full extension drawer slides which were very fiddly, but are now working well. I put in some foam to line the drawers and keep everything from rattling around when I wheel it out. Even with the foam it holds a surprising amount of stuff.
Inside top drawer.jpg
Inside top drawer.jpg (300.86 KiB) Viewed 199571 times
Inside bottom drawer.jpg
Inside bottom drawer.jpg (179.12 KiB) Viewed 199571 times
It's not completely perfect, but I'm happy with how it turned out and all of the storage space its freed up in the rest of our garage!
algale
Platinum Member

Re: First Project - Storage Cabinet

Post by algale »

Very nice job!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Looks really great.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Very nice! All that storage will prove quite handy.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Nice. What will you keep in the storage bays on each side?
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

12" sanding discs.

Manuals.

Tall stuff.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I like it. The tall bays on the sides should be useful. No need to take up most of a drawer to hold a saw guard or a tail stock.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Irmaplotz,

Even though you have been a member for a while Welcome to the Forum and thank you for sharing your project in your first post. Nice work. I am sure you will find the cabinet very useful. As you start organizing it you may find little tweaks or small changes to make it more user friendly for holding accessories. If you do, please add updates. Again, nice project.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

That is a heck oof a first project; nicely done!
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
Irmaplotz
Bronze Member

Post by Irmaplotz »

JPG wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:36 am 12" sanding discs.

Manuals.

Tall stuff.
Yes! Exactly. That sanding disk and the sandpaper was taking up so much space! It's nice to have a place for that and the manual.