DeWalt Radial Arm Saw vs Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

DeWalt Radial Arm Saw vs Shopsmith

Post by jsburger »

Stumpy Nubs latest video talks about how DeWalt marketed the radial arm saw back in the late 40's/early 50's and beyond as the all in one home shop tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zeg8fHVrJBk

It has to be in response to the Magna Engineering Shopsmith that was kicking butt at the time. They even show in their catalog cutting a sheet of plywood vertically by sliding it on the floor just like shown in the first addition of PTWFE for the Model 10.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Re: DeWalt Radial Arm Saw vs Shopsmith

Post by SteveMaryland »

"Where is Ward Cleaver's hand gonna end up??"
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

SteveMaryland wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:50 pm "Where is Ward Cleaver's hand gonna end up??"

Well, in this photo, at least his left one is still attached to his arm. ;)

Ward & Beaver Cleaver 1.jpeg
Ward & Beaver Cleaver 1.jpeg (29.47 KiB) Viewed 38140 times

Stumpy’s right about one thing, for sure. They were some beautiful machines!

White restored DeWalt MBC.jpg
White restored DeWalt MBC.jpg (57.24 KiB) Viewed 38140 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John said,
They even show in their catalog cutting a sheet of plywood vertically by sliding it on the floor just like shown in the first addition of PTWFE for the Model 10.
Even before the original/first addition of Power Tool Wood Working for Everyone came out in 1953 that technique of cutting wood made the front page of the second Shop Notes.

_
2-1 r.jpg
2-1 r.jpg (179.35 KiB) Viewed 36542 times
John,

Thanks for posting the link to that video. It was entertaining to see what was thought to be okay in the past.

My first bench/stand power tool was a Craftsman Radial Arm Saw I bought in the mid 1980's. A Craftsman/Sears book I purchased called Power Tool Know How revised in 1985 to show more I could do with it still showed some questionable things you could use a RAS for. Of interest after owing this RAS for a few years Sears sent out an upgraded Blade Guard system to replace the original. I'm thinking some lawsuits prompted that. :eek:

I still have that Craftsman Radial Arm Saw along with the Craftsman Table Saw I purchased in the late 1980's both of which I haven't used on a project in a lot of years.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ah for the good old days when an individual was responsible for everything one did.

Then 'culpability' of entities with deep pockets ensued(pun intended).

Somewhere in this collection of pix is one showing a person working within 3 foot of a circular saw blade with a diameter likely larger than the workers height.(totally exposed/no guard)

I cannot tell if the blade was rotating, but I think is was likely so.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

A used 1960's Craftsman RAS was the 1st saw I bought in 1983. I've owned 2 Craftsman and my present Wards Powrkraft. The RAS is still my go-to saw.

Here is a fascinatng video about building/ mass producing army camps in WWII with Dewalt radial arm saws.

https://youtu.be/HiGH0Qsu3ak?si=-hxAMcVXfGOFJSaR
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I really do not care what others say I believe a blade you can see at all times is safer than a blade you can not always see. If you see it you can keep your hands out of it path. If you can not see it there is a chance you can put your hands in danger.
Now I am sure people will disagree citing kickback and etc. But the fact remains kickback can occur on either machine and both are dangerous if used incorrectly.
When I saw my first Radial arm I fell in love, table saws have always scared me! For most cuts, and I said most not all, I feel 100 times safer using a radial arm saw that has the correct blade and is properly set up. The wrong blade on a radial arm is really dangerous as is trying some wild cuts on a poorly setup Radial Arm saw.
As for accuracy I think they are equal but a Radial arm is easier to knock out of alignment through abuse than a table saw. I had a buddy that always complained about Radial Arm accuracy however I also watched him throw 6x6 and railroad ties on the radial arm table. He even used the upper arm on the radial arm to press fit a bearing into a pulley. Yes his saw cut like a roaring drunk using a chain saw.
Last tool out of my garage will be my Radial Arm or a huge depth of cut Miter saw.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

In my previous post I said,
I still have that Craftsman Radial Arm Saw along with the Craftsman Table Saw I purchased in the late 1980's both of which I haven't used on a project in a lot of years.
So why do I keep them if I haven't used them in a lot of years. I know if I sell them, I won't get much for either of them.

I did use the RAS on a project a few years ago so using it really hasn't been that long unlike the Table Saw. Before we moved last summer the RAS was sitting on a cabinet with its table level to the cabinet/workbench tops on either side giving it a very wide support space. We are talking around 20 feet in total. Ed will enjoy this. Since moving last summer, the Radial Arm Saw lost its nice place between the cabinet and workbench and was sitting on a moving dolly until a couple months ago. I could not find all the original legs parts for it so bought a tool chest base to mount it on. I removed the tabletop while mounting the base to a board to go on the tool chest. After getting it all back together including remounting the tabletop, I checked its alignment of the blade to the fence and it was near perfect. How lucky could I get. All the moving around getting it from the old house to our new one and it still lined up. I plan to keep my RAS for those times it is the better choice tool for the job. I should add I found the rest of the parts for the legs just last week. Now I have to decide, do I keep it on the tool cabinet or put it back on its original legs which have a wider/deeper footprint.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

Actually, the plywood cutting method shown on the Shop Notes cover is not out of the question. That operation could be made "safe" by using a 16-foot floor channel base, and have that base attached to the Shopsmith. And have the blade guard on.

That is (sort of) how the big box store cuts plywood. Big box is a bit safer because the work is stationary and the blade moves.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

SteveMaryland wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:21 am Actually, the plywood cutting method shown on the Shop Notes cover is not out of the question. That operation could be made "safe" by using a 16-foot floor channel base, and have that base attached to the Shopsmith. And have the blade guard on.

That is (sort of) how the big box store cuts plywood. Big box is a bit safer because the work is stationary and the blade moves.
It's not impossible but the picture shown might tempt the unwise to attempt it without the necessary steps to make it safe. The way tube assembly could also be tilted up and secured at less than 90° so the sheet of plywood leans against the table but it still depends on the long track you suggest to be able to slide the board through properly. It is just so much easier to use a track saw and move the saw instead of the material, and using the Shopsmith or any table saw you just need infeed and outfeed support for the material.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER