Engine replacement

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Lucky1468
Bronze Member

Engine replacement

Post by Lucky1468 »

What is a direct replacement engine for a o smith c48L2a16
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Engine replacement

Post by JPG »

To what is this engine attached?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Lucky1468,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

There are a lot of A. O. Smith motor model numbers that have been used over the years in Shopsmith tools going back to the first Shopsmith Model 10E. The motors used for the Model 10E and 10ER are a conventional mount and will not work in a Shopsmith Mark 5/V. It would help to know which Shopsmith model you have.

If you are looking for a replacement motor for a Shopsmith Mark 5/V Conventional Headstock any motor made for them can be used but I would suggest you not buy a used 3/4 HP Motor that came from the early Mark 5's made in the 1950's. You would be much happier with a 1-1/8 HP Motor that has been the standard since. A. O. Smith brand motors are not the only ones used in and made for the Mark 5/V over the years. Motors have also been made by Emerson, Franklin and GE. They all have been made specifically to fit in the Shopsmith Mark 5/V Conventional Headstock. They do not use a common mounting so other motors just simply do not work in a Shopsmith Mark 5/V Headstock. A new replacement motor for the Shopsmith Mark Conventional Headstocks is available from Shopsmith and can be found here on this website.

Let us know if you need additional help with this.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
SloughHand
Bronze Member

Post by SloughHand »

I would not recommend the Emerson C55DDR-2015C. I'm restoring a 1996 510 that had this motor, which I don't think was the original. It's a terrible design, using one sealed bearing and one plain bearing. In addition to excessive friction caused by the cast iron, donut shaped bearing spinning metal-on-metal against the seat in the motor's aluminum endbell, the bearing is wide open, surrounded by the vent causing it to get absolutely packed with wood chips and dust. This causes additional friction and heat, which can caused it to fail -- cracking as it did in my case. This is not smart engineering.