Quill Freeplay

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Quill Freeplay

Post by edma194 »

My Growth Rings addresses quill play in the follow up video about the Shopsmith Biscuit Joiner (visible for 1 week): https://youtu.be/rDNq_kR_9nI?si=hL2NjCz0XPNctC43&t=196

He mentions the older single bearing quill and the play on the extended quill. It's also applicable to the quill in Drill Press mode as it's used for the Biscuit Joiner that requires pushing against the spindle. The quill would be locked in that mode but in any similar operation such as routing or shaping any play in the bearings can be a factor in proper alignment.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I believe there are two things here to remember. There is quill shaft play related to the bearings. There is quill housing play related to the fit in the head stock. Eliminating/reducing one will not eliminate/reduce the other.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

And they are additive.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

We can distinguish between the potential sources of freeplay by observation and/or measuring technique. My freeplay comes from the fit between the quill housing/barrel and headstock. Contribution by the fit of the spindle and bearings inside the quill assembly is under 0.001". I understand this may vary with bad bearings, a single bearing quill, and possibly based on which version of two bearing quill is in use. The fit of the quill to the headstock is inherently less precise. Freeplay that results from that fit appears to me to be unavoidable. We can be aware of it and minimize it when we feel it is appropriate.

It would be great to know the tolerance for this, I'm sure that the headstock bore can be 'too loose.' I'm concerned mine may be excessive at full extension, as it exceeds that reported by CreekWood by 2X.

- David
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Really interesting video discussing how replacing bearings on an old Mark V and a NEW Mark 7 reduced quill runout (retracted) to zero. Maybe it is a worn bearing issue??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEFFYw29yV4
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!