Headstock removal and installation

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bryll
Bronze Member

Headstock removal and installation

Post by Bryll »

Last week I purchased a 1980’sShopSmith Mark V 500. In came partially assembled, and a Bunche of pieces in a cardboard box. He told me that the motor did not work. I haven’t tested the motor, but I tested the switch, which clearly did not work. The plug on the power cord needed to be replaced. I fixed the power cord and purchased a replacement switch. Monday, I’ll test the motor.

I noticed that the HEADSTOCK is on backwards. My question is:

What are the steps I need to follow in order to remove and replace the headstock, so while in drill mode, the drill won’t be upside down? Any suggestions will help, and I’ll be grateful for assistance 😉👍
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Headstock removal and installation

Post by JPG »

The Mark V has two ends. The 'right' end is hinged. For drill press mode(vertical) the 'left' end has a release lever that when pulled out allows the 'left' end to be lifted up.

I assume you have the main table. If so get a short board and place it across the bench tubes(the lower pair of tubes). Raise the 'left' end, place the board under the main table vertical tube mount, lower the table so the table tubes rest upon the board and support the way tubes etc. at a slight angle so you have access to the tie bar that connects the 'left' end of the way tubes. Remove the tie bar by loosening the set screws that secure it to the way tubes.(look underneath)

This allows sliding the headstock off the ends of the way tubes. However before sliding it off, loosen the headstock lock fully CCW until it cannot go any further. This positions the lock wedges so reinstalling the headstock back onto the way tubes will not cause you to lose thy religion because the wedges are misaligned. Oh and do not monkey with the headstock lock until after reinstalling the headstock back on the way tubes.

Hope this helps. Easier than it sounds.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

One comment to add to JPG's excellent instructions: when reinstalling the tie-bar, don't overtighten the setscrews else the tie-bar could crack. Ask me how I know!
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Bryll,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

JPG has given a great explanation of removing and re installing the Headstock. The attached PDF Remounting The Headstock shows in figure 1 what JPG was explaining.

_
845522 A 07-01 Headstock Remount.pdf
(83.01 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
I hope your purchase of the Mark V included an Owner's Manual. If not, I highly recommend getting one. It is full of information on aligning, using and maintaining your Mark V. We are also always happy to help.

HopefulSSer,

I know. :o
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

One caution about removing the tie bar. If it's stuck, don't beat on the webbing between the tubes - it's cast aluminum and can crack.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Anything that is stuck, ONLY nudge from the part furthest back. i.e. push, do NOT pull.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange