Bad bearings?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JoeSark
Bronze Member

Bad bearings?

Post by JoeSark »

I just bought another 510, and the previous owner used it quite enthusiastically. I notice some vibration at speeds B through D, which goes away at higher speeds. Is this a symptom of upper bearings going bad, or something else?
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Bad bearings?

Post by edma194 »

Could be bearings but I'd check the speed control mechanism and make sure the sheaves slide freely across the speed range. Possibly the lower sheaves are not closing all the way and the belt is loose at the low end of the range.

If you haven't cleaned and lubed the mechanism now is the time to do so.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JoeSark
Bronze Member

Post by JoeSark »

Thanks, Ed! The sheaves were clean and oiled, but you got me looking closer at the bottom of the machine. Two motor mount bolts were missing. Runs like a dream, now!
JoeSark
Bronze Member

Post by JoeSark »

Thanks, Ed! The sheaves were clean and oiled, but you got me looking closer at the bottom of the machine. Two motor mount bolts were missing. Runs like a dream, now!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Which two?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JoeSark
Bronze Member

Post by JoeSark »

The two that are near the sheave.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

JoeSark wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:32 am The two that are near the sheave.
Well that certainly makes sense.(smaller pulley at slow speeds - lower torque)

Glad the fix was simple!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

A good reminder to check everything when buying a used tool. Check that all set screws, nuts, bolts, etc. are properly tightened. Clean, wax and lubricate the tool. In this case having missing motor mount screws can easily be missed because of their location.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I cannot imagine any of those 4 screws becoming loose under normal use.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝