Cross cut sled

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Cross cut sled

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:15 am That 1/64" over 12" of miter bar engagement with the slot results in a angle deviation of 0.075 degrees.

The measured slop determined above will be much much less.

Therefore IMO bar/slot slop has a minimal effect.

Am I missing something???
Obviously!

I suggest that if this thought process is to continue it must first be determined "what level of deviation is to be tolerated".

How accurate is accurate?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My point exactly. Minuscule does not matter.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
oso2you
Gold Member

Post by oso2you »

Dusty,
I said previously that I thought trying to do angles would create too much room for error. However, both SS and Rockler sleds have a movable fence for angles so It obviously can be done. How they do it and how it works re:accuracy I don't know. I am using a SS miter bar so there won't be any "slop".

Don
SS 520, SS band saw. Grizzly cabinet saw, jointer, drill press,14" bandsaw, belt/disc sander. Delta 13" planer. Hitachi router in router table. Old Craftsman radial arm saw.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

oso2you wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:44 pm Dusty,
I said previously that I thought trying to do angles would create too much room for error. However, both SS and Rockler sleds have a movable fence for angles so It obviously can be done. How they do it and how it works re:accuracy I don't know. I am using a SS miter bar so there won't be any "slop".

Don
UNFORTUNATELY there will be some slop with the SS Miter Bar in the Shopsmith Miter Track(s). That will not be the nice snug fit that you might expect.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

As I recall, the SS literature instructs that as the sled is pushed forward it should also be gently pushed laterally towards the side of the miter slot closest to the blade. If this is done consistently, it should eliminate the effects of any "slot slop."
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

edflorence wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:49 pm As I recall, the SS literature instructs that as the sled is pushed forward it should also be gently pushed laterally towards the side of the miter slot closest to the blade. If this is done consistently, it should eliminate the effects of any "slot slop."
Yes. That maneuver does compensate for the loose fit in the miter slot (if I don't forget).

I put on a snug fitting wooden runner to ride in the other miter slot to eliminate the slop. Then, later, I built my own sled with Incra adjustable miter bars.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty