Cross cut sled

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

oso2you
Gold Member

Cross cut sled

Post by oso2you »

I am going to build a sled like the one Shopsmith sells. They mention it will easily set certain angles. How is this done? The only picture I can find of it shows nothing that would give a clue.The Rockler sled has a built in protractor scale and a moveable fence to do angles for example.
SS 520, SS band saw. Grizzly cabinet saw, jointer, drill press,14" bandsaw, belt/disc sander. Delta 13" planer. Hitachi router in router table. Old Craftsman radial arm saw.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Cross cut sled

Post by JPG »

There are stops.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

oso2you wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:00 am I am going to build a sled like the one Shopsmith sells. They mention it will easily set certain angles. How is this done? The only picture I can find of it shows nothing that would give a clue.The Rockler sled has a built in protractor scale and a moveable fence to do angles for example.
Do you mean what SS calls a Cross-cut Sliding Table? If yes, the laminate portion has pre-drilled holes for mounting the aluminum fence at the listed angles. I don't use this feature, it took me a minute to get it accurate at 90 degrees and I'd be reluctant to disturb that.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I made my own using the "T" Track bar Shopsmith sells. Like David I keep mine set at 90 degrees. I haven't had a need to cut other angles that I couldn't do in a better way than with the Cross-Cut Sliding Table I made. I prefer using the Miter with an extension fence, if needed, on my Shopsmith or my Compound Miter Saw or my Radial Arm Saw.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
oso2you
Gold Member

Post by oso2you »

I think I am better off just leaving it at 90 deg. The more movable parts I have, the greater the chance for less accuracy down the line.
SS 520, SS band saw. Grizzly cabinet saw, jointer, drill press,14" bandsaw, belt/disc sander. Delta 13" planer. Hitachi router in router table. Old Craftsman radial arm saw.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

oso2you wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:05 pm I think I am better off just leaving it at 90 deg. The more movable parts I have, the greater the chance for less accuracy down the line.
I think that's a good call. There is a good reason that people use the five cut method to square a sled or sliding table. With a miter gauge you can directly measure or set the critical angle but with a sliding table/sled you can't do that directly. If I was making a sled for angled cuts I'd model it after the Incra 5000. Or buy an Incra 5000 and put a SS miter bar on it.(?) Pricey but they seem to have gotten it right. For more than half the cost of a nice sliding compound miter saw...

- David
oso2you
Gold Member

Post by oso2you »

Bought the plywood for the base today. Mail brought me a SS miter bar, Incra flip stop and a Rockler T Trak for the top of the fence. Ready to rock and roll and make sawdust tomorrow. Cold and rainy here. Not this old timers golf weather. The wife is in her quilt room making quilts and I will be in the shop. We are both doing our happy things. Does it get any better?
oso2you
Gold Member

Post by oso2you »

If anyone is interested, you can find the manual for the SS cross cut sled (pdf download #845298) and the auxiliary table (pff#845309) on the main web site under manuals and information.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Just waiting to hear how you intend to mount the "fence" so that the angle can be changed.

The miter track is 47/64" wide. How wide is the new miter rail? The slop that you find in this measurement defines the maximum degree of accuracy you can expect from your new sled.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That 1/64" over 12" of miter bar engagement with the slot results in a angle deviation of 0.075 degrees.

The measured slop determined above will be much much less.

Therefore IMO bar/slot slop has a minimal effect.

Am I missing something???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange