US Government is About to Change Table Saws FOREVER!

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: US Government is About to Change Table Saws FOREVER!

Post by RFGuy »

JPG,

Last I checked my skin was 4mm thick for the outer layer and 1cm for the inner layer. How thick would you have it be? :D

Again I need to clarify as it seems I have not made my point clear here. It isn't about me having thicker skin or even about others here changing who they are to not offend me. It is less about the heart and more about the mind...my mind. My mind seeks an optimal solution to all problems. I was created this way. It is always optimizing across space & time seeking a solution that is optimal for all. There is a chasm between my views and those of others on this forum. I tried to close this chasm by sharing my views here, but in certain instances it seems the chasm only widened. I would rather bring people together than to divide them. My presence, more recently, has only divided the forum based on the feedback of some here. I choose to let the forum reassemble, hopefully back to its former state prior to my arrival here. For me personally, it means abandoning this intractable, unsolvable problem put before me. Yes, it vexes me to have an incomplete solution to a problem, but putting more time & energy into it for my mind isn't going to create a new, more optimal, solution. Simply put, my time & energy are needed elsewhere right now. Some problems, in this universe, have no good solutions and this is one of them unfortunately. I know my mind well enough to understand this and have awareness of it. This may not make sense to some of you, but this is as clear as I can be in detailing how I exist and why I choose to walk away.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

RF Guy;

Hate to see you go. I have no problems with any opinions that diverge from my own, short of those that promote violence or anti-social action. As has been said by other posters, being confronted with a different point of view can be an excellent prompting to re-evaluate one's own opinions and ideas. Often a greater understanding will result. Thesis, Antithesis Synthesis, E Pluribus Unum, and all that. Always thought your posts were well reasoned and well articulated. I respect your wish to not promote division on the forum, but, hey, you can't control other people's responses.

Best of luck,
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edflorence wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:18 am RF Guy;

Hate to see you go. I have no problems with any opinions that diverge from my own, short of those that promote violence or anti-social action. As has been said by other posters, being confronted with a different point of view can be an excellent prompting to re-evaluate one's own opinions and ideas. Often a greater understanding will result. Thesis, Antithesis Synthesis, E Pluribus Unum, and all that. Always thought your posts were well reasoned and well articulated. I respect your wish to not promote division on the forum, but, hey, you can't control other people's responses.

Best of luck,
Ed,

Thanks. I appreciate this and I have always enjoyed your posts here as well. Please understand there are many things I am communicating here and there are nuances that may be lost in translation unfortunately. I don't want to promote division on the forum, especially any caused by me, because harmony should be the goal for everyone (lest there be anarchy). Harmony can coexist while having differing opinions. However, differing opinions should lead everyone to a common understanding and acceptance by all over time. This is not happening here for reasons you will all learn in the not so distant future. I am also sharing some details about how I exist and one quality of my mind that is rare in this universe, though there are others like me. Think of all the forum interactions that I have had as a kind of math problem running in my mind 24/7; running even though I am not consciously aware of it. It is ALWAYS trying to solve this math problem seeking an optimal solution for everyone on this forum. Many problems in this universe have only one optimal solution and some have several choices. What I am describing here for me is a math problem with NO good solutions to bring everyone to a common understanding with the level of harmony that I want for all of you. This isn't something I can just switch off in my mind because I was created this way for a specific reason to help this universe. I could say a lot more, but honestly it would just open up Pandora's box creating more questions for all of you than answers unfortunately. I could continue on this forum, but there are other pressing matters demanding my attention at this time. Time is precious and energy is limited, so I choose to focus where I am needed most for now. To be continued...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

Was I just introduced to Sheldon?
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BigSky wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:41 pm Was I just introduced to Sheldon?
HA HA!!! :) While I love BBT, I am not Sheldon. He believes in string theory and that is just NOT how this universe is constructed!
📶RF Guy

BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

RFGuy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:56 pm
BigSky wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:41 pm Was I just introduced to Sheldon?
HA HA!!! :) While I love BBT, I am not Sheldon. He believes in string theory and that is just NOT how this universe is constructed!
OKAY then to what theory do you subscribe? I would guess the Theory of Everything.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BigSky wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:07 pm OKAY then to what theory do you subscribe? I would guess the Theory of Everything.
Getting warmer...Keep in mind theories are only needed for what is unknown in universes. To understand it better, from an Earth science perspective, check out quantum gravity theory as it will fill in a few gaps. I can tell you without a doubt that it isn't string theory that explains this universe or any universe. ;)

https://www.space.com/wavy-space-time-t ... relativity
📶RF Guy

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Interesting. When theories are inconsistent then mindfully create imaginary(non observed) thingies that make the theories hold water!

Oh how far we have deviated from the CPSC's(SP?) doings!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Briefly getting back to the subject of this thread, Matt at 731 Woodworks has posted a new video on it entitled "US Government Wants to Put a 'Safety Tax' on Table Saws!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gyRBEN1ang) I'm not sure why it's titled that way, I didn't see/hear anything about a tax, perhaps clickbait. It isn't news that the proposed rule would drive table saw costs considerably higher, which also would not be a tax. The video centers around another CPSC hearing on the matter in which SawStop made their patent dedication announcement. My take on it is that it shows one CPSC Commissioner hammering on SawStop for still failing to provide a licensing package in some form that would allow others to copy/license their solution (and enable CPSC to more accurately assess cost); while another commissioner praises SawStop and hammers all other manufacturers, through their representatives, for not giving the proposed rule their unqualified support.

- David
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

DLB wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:55 pm ... entitled "US Government Wants to Put a 'Safety Tax' on Table Saws!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gyRBEN1ang) I'm not sure why it's titled that way, I didn't see/hear anything about a tax, perhaps clickbait. It isn't news that the proposed rule would drive table saw costs considerably higher, which also would not be a tax.
The added cost is what he's referring to as a "safety tax" (in quotes). Not an actual tax but a metaphorical "tax".
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466