Jointer Knives

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Thomschuck
Gold Member

Jointer Knives

Post by Thomschuck »

Fellow Genius’s,
I am having a bit of a problem with my jointer knives. I installed a new set. I am fairly confident that I have them all set spot on. I have been edge jointing Ash. Across the entire length of the edge I have uber small ridges. They are all parallel to each other. When I did the face of the Ash stock they are there again. I stopped worked and cleaned the new knives. I have this problem on the edge of 1” walnut as well. I set a spacer board against the fence to move my work away from the edge of my knives. Same results. Could it be in my alignment of the blades to each other? I think that would be odd but I can’t null the problem out. Could I have a bunk set of knives? I mean these are brand new knives. Thank You Much.
Thom Schuck
Portland
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Jointer Knives

Post by JPG »

Slow the feed rate.

Are the 'scallops' closer together?

Using a straight workpiece. and manually rotating the cutter head, lower the workpiece until one blade just kisses it. Do the other two blades do the same?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Thomschuck
Gold Member

Post by Thomschuck »

Tight and vertical. More like ribbing than valleys. Very uniform. My first thought was could it be the grain of the Ash. It’s super CVG and maybe it is pulling the softer wood out??? But then I THINK? it happened on my Oregon Black Walnut as well… That I am not sure of. I was all beat up and tired. I saw the problem and shut down. It’s just incredibly uniform. I have photos but I dont know how to post them up. You can really see the lines on your tablet. They will sand out with one pass for sure but it’s not right…..
Thom Schuck

SS Biscuit Cutter
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Thomschuck
Gold Member

Post by Thomschuck »

Yes. I used the ruler method advancing 1/8”. After I felt pretty confident I had a solid alignment I checked it with my new iGauging snap gauge. It told me I was dead on across the entire span of the knife. Maybe it is the feed rate? I was pretty tired. I will dig in deeper with some soft pine and then run some Maple or Oak thru it and see what I get. What blows my mind is how absolutely even the lines are. I am so tired I am now totally OCD and it screams GRAIN to me. Its just to symmetrical. I will give it a go tomorrow. I thought I would toss it down tonight thinking that maybe someone would spark up and call the problem. Less brain work at my end. Sorry, not being rude.
Thom Schuck

SS Biscuit Cutter
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Thomschuck
Gold Member

Post by Thomschuck »

Attachments
IMG_5131.jpeg
IMG_5131.jpeg (409.96 KiB) Viewed 977 times
IMG_5130.jpeg
IMG_5130.jpeg (381.61 KiB) Viewed 977 times
IMG_5125.jpeg
IMG_5125.jpeg (614.11 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Thom Schuck

SS Biscuit Cutter
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Thomschuck
Gold Member

Post by Thomschuck »

Hey I did it! Can you see the photos? See the lines…?
Thom Schuck

SS Biscuit Cutter
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Nice photos! If you run a fingernail down the edge of a jointer knife, does it feel perfectly smooth, or ever-so-slightly serrated?

Did you edge-joint that plywood with your new knives, perchance? I’m wondering if the glue lines may have worn tiny divots in the sharp edges of your knives. From the photos, it looks like the ridge spacing on the hardwood is about the same as the plywood lamination thickness.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:28 am Nice photos! If you run a fingernail down the edge of a jointer knife, does it feel perfectly smooth, or ever-so-slightly serrated?

Did you edge-joint that plywood with your new knives, perchance? I’m wondering if the glue lines may have worn tiny divots in the sharp edges of your knives. From the photos, it looks like the ridge spacing on the hardwood is about the same as the plywood lamination thickness.

Well that shows the importance of posting pix! So the 'ripples' are THAT direction.

I think the mystery is revealed.

Hone the knives.

P.S. Get a conical disc for plywood.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:01 am Hone the knives.
Being lazy, I'd probably just shift two of the knives by a fuzz (laterally, in opposite directions). If that is indeed the problem.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Good Morning Thom,

Glad to see you are up and well enough to be making some sawdust.

You could try Dennis' idea of ever so slightly shifting two of the knives in opposite directions and thereby offsetting any possible "divots" the three knives may have. A simple thing to do without having to realign the knives by loosening the three screws on the wedge on one of the two knives at a time and bump the knife slightly offset from the one remaining in place. If it cuts smoother, than as JPG stated its time to, "Hone the knives." Likely that needs to be done anyway.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.