Disc Sander Loosens

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

Disc Sander Loosens

Post by db5 »

Older aluminum disc. I tighten the set screw and tweak it thrice but it loosens. The setscrew is flat bottomed in good condition. Suggestions? I have different set screws.
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Disc Sander Loosens

Post by algale »

I feel like most of us have at least one arbor with a loose screw. Usual solution is a different screw.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Older disks (aluminum) probably were not drilled at an angle to allow full contact with the flat of the set screw and the arbor flat. Try a round noes set screw.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

jsburger wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:37 pm Older disks (aluminum) probably were not drilled at an angle to allow full contact with the flat of the set screw and the arbor flat. Try a round noes set screw.
+1
Aka oval-tip set screws.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Good luck finding them!

PM me and I will send you a couple.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The suggestions from the others replacing the set screw to an oval head would be the first to try and the set screw is most commonly the culprit. How are the threads in the disk itself? If they are worn not keeping the set screw snug in the threads that could be the problem.

Is this Aluminum Sanding Disk from the Model 10E/10ER era or from the early (1950's through 1960's) Mark 5 era? They used a 3/8" set screw for the Model 10E/10ER Aluminum Sanding Disk but the Mark 5, as with most everything, uses a 5/16" set screw.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.