Mark VII Motor Hums in Reverse

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

GerikBensing
Silver Member

Re: Mark VII Motor Hums in Reverse

Post by GerikBensing »

Oh, I’m working on the Forward/Stop/Reverse switch at the moment. Though I think the bearings in the motor could use a replacement. I’ll post a video here when I have a chance to get y’all’s opinion on that. I could be overthinking that one.

I carefully pulled the cover off the switch and was able to clean everything up in there. I used some adjustable pliers to carefully push the male spade connectors out of the plastic housing. I was able to get the connectors back in snugly enough but the cover took a bit of a beating. If I have to go back in there in the future I’ll probably need to use some kind of adhesive, but for now it’s good to go.

I decided to use some PTFE “dry lube” as my lubricating agent. There was a fair amount of fine sawdust caked in there that was causing the friction so I was concerned anything else would be a bad idea. Currently it switches quite smoothly!
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

Nice, I will keep in mind the ptfe dry lube. Good tip. Very complicated switch, glad you were able to repair yours.

Mike
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JerryGarcia
Bronze Member

Post by JerryGarcia »

I’ve got the same AO Smith motor in mine. I’m replacing the bearings as well. I’m using a Timken 6203-zz as a cross for the hoover 77203 that were in it. I’m waiting on a new centrifugal switch actuator though that i butterfingered and broke the plastic spool piece off of. A Torq #C-2097 synchrosnap looks to match up nicely for these AO Smith motors. They also look to have the stationary switches available for these motors as well.