Anybody Using a Microjig

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Anybody Using a Microjig

Post by john »

Are any of you using a Microjig with your ShopSmith? I have been considering one of them for some time and wondered if it was practical on a ShopSmith. For instance does it clear the splitter after removing the blade guard.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

John
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Anybody Using a Microjig

Post by edma194 »

I assume you mean the GRR-RIPPER: https://www.microjig.com/products/grr-r ... ocQAvD_BwE

I recall negative comments about their ZEROPLAY miter bars.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

John,

If you are talking about the GRR-RIPPER original or newer GRR-RIPPER 2GO, then yes, assuming that you have the table properly set so the blade teeth are only a little above the material being cut, and the splitter should be at pretty much the same height, then there will be no problem as that would be the same as a typical dedicated table saw.

I have a couple of the original G-Rs and am quite impressed by them. They grip very well on most woods as long as they aren't covered in fine dust. The middle leg is adjustable side to side so you can nearly always get it to the point where you have a good grip on the material and still be able to avoid running the middle leg through the blade. There is a narrow outer leg for making very thin rips, I think it's 1/8".
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Thanks for the feedback.

I have an opportunity to get a GRR-Ripper with several options on sale, though in $Cdn. it is still quite expensive. But I might just go and look at it.
I know Milescraft sells a similar product for less but I understand the Microjig is made in the U.S. so I would prefer to go this route.

John
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Here's a video of that Scott / My Growth Rings did comparing some of these pushers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNrqiKErUlk
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

I also use the original GRR-RIPPER in conjunction with the riving knife accessory when ripping on my Shopsmith. It’s especially good for ripping pieces 3” wide or less while keeping your hands out of harm’s way. Setup correctly it anchors both the piece run against the fence and the piece being cut off all the way past the blade. I like it because it gives a solid straight push while holding downward force that’s difficult to get using a regular push stick and a feather board. You do have to remove the blade guard to use it though, hence the need for the riving knife. It excels at ripping strips as narrow as 3/8” where you have to remove the blade guard anyway. I started out with one GRR-RIPPER and soon bought a second so I could rip long boards using the hand over hand technique shown the Microjig website video. I store mine hanging on hooks below my accessory shelf so they are easy to get to when I need them.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

I have the original version of the Grr-ripper with accessories and consider it money well spent.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I have two of the originals and while I generally like them, they aren't perfect. When working with melamine or pre-finished sheet goods, they tend to slip, but I seldom need to rip anything narrow from sheet goods where this becomes an issue. Mine don't have the little feet at the trailing edge to hook onto the stock but it is rare that that has been an issue. At most that would be a nice to have on occasion.

On raw lumber or unfinished sheet goods, they work quite well and I nearly always use them with my router table and they work far better than any other push block or push stick I have tried.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
ssuel
Gold Member

Post by ssuel »

I have bought several MicroJig products and have been satisfied with all of those purchases. Including

-Gripper complete System
-ZeroPlay miter bars
-Sliding dovetail clamps
- Dovetail Hardware components for jig making
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I use a Grr-ipper for narrow strip cuts on the table saw. They work well for that as the feet are adjustable.

b