Weight Question around Plan to Move a "Greenie"

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Jrh
Bronze Member

Weight Question around Plan to Move a "Greenie"

Post by Jrh »

I will be moving a Mark 5, Greenie", about 650 miles in my SUV. My plan is:

1. First remove the headstock and saw table.
2. Support the remaining Shopsmith components as a unit lifted slightly off the ground, onto two sawhorses. Remove both end stands.
3 The assemblage remaining on the sawhorses consists of the way tubes and bench tubes, each with their end components attached to hold
everything together.

First Question: Can someone provide an estimated weight for this "tube assemblage" of components (#3 above)? My wife and I will be the movers, so weight is critical.

Second Question: Does anyone see a flaw with this approach? Is weight of #3 a flaw?

Thank you very much,

JRH
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Weight Question around Plan to Move a "Greenie"

Post by edma194 »

What kind of vehicle do you have? If you have a truck, van, SUV or even a hatch bac

Remove table(s)
Slide the headstock all the way to left side of the way tubes
Lower the wheels of the left end of the machine so that end will roll
Lift the right end of the Shopsmith and prop it up under the bench tubes with a saw horse or anything a little tall than the legs
...the right end won't be that heavy to lift with the headstock all the way to the left
Remove the right leg
Slide the end of the assembly into your vehicle at least half way
Slide the headstock to the right end of the way tubes which is now inside you vehicle
Lift the left end of the Shopsmith and prop it up or slide it into your vehicle up to the left leg
Remove the left leg
Slide the assembly the rest of the way in

You can remove and reassemble it the same way
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Jrh
Bronze Member

Post by Jrh »

I appreciate the replies and details about the various techniques used to move Shopsmiths.

My SUV is a KIA Telluride with plenty of cargo area for handling the move.

My main concern is how much will the "skeleton" of the shopsmith weigh after the headstock, saw table, and both sheet metal legs are removed? My wife and are the muscle in this move.

Thanks again,

JRH
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Unless thee are midgets, the two of you should have no problem(assuming one of you can handle the headstock).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

And if one of you can handle the headstock then a smaller person can help you move the headstock, end castings, and tube assembly without removing the headstock. Just shift the headstock toward your end if you have to carry it. I think it's the best way to transport a head stock because it's mounted, not loose somewhere sitting on the casting. I've done Shopsmiths myself in the way I described when I had to where braces on both my legs before I got my knees replaced.

You'll need a either large flathead or Philips screwdriver to remove the screws from the legs depending on when it was made. Bring both in case one of them isn't like the others. They usually have square nuts inside the legs, so hex sockets won't help. I usually just use pliers on the nuts.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Since I don't currently have a Mark 5/V disassembled I can't tell you how much the Base Assembly without the Bench Ends weighs. Surely not too much and should be manageable. If you have the room (Height) in your vehicle I would recommend trying the transport method Ed suggested in his first post. I too have used that way to transport Mark 5/V's, Mark 2's and Model 10's Without having to disassemble them. A lot less work on both ends of the trip.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I don't know for sure but I believe the bench/way tube assembly as you describe it after your disassemble will not weigh as much as the head stock or be very close to the head stock + or - a little. Bottom line, if you can handle the head stock the base/way tube assembly will not be a problem.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Jrh
Bronze Member

Post by Jrh »

I started this thread and I'll offer a closing comment: My technique worked perfectly. It took less than 30 minutes to lift the Shopsmith with saw table removed but Headstock centered on the way tubes, set the assembly on two saw horses, remove the ten nuts and blots that attach the legs. Within that thirty minutes my wife and I and moved the Shopsmith into the cargo area of our SUV. Assembly at our destination will be trivial.

Thanks to all who responded.

JRH
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Thank You for that response.

All too often we do not hear back from those we went out of our way to help.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝