Making a Lie-Nielsen Plane From Start to Finish

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Making a Lie-Nielsen Plane From Start to Finish

Post by jsburger »

This gives an indication for why quality hand tools cost what they do. Lots of hand work involved here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHaXAFh83VE
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: Making a Lie-Nielsen Plane From Start to Finish

Post by nuhobby »

Yes, those babies are right fine instruments. I had hands on about 5 of them in my shop over the years, but I'm down to one multi-purpose one.
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

Interesting video, and company. Thanks for posting. Good to see American manufacturing happening, and I assume, profitably.

So if this company and others in America can profitably make high-end hand woodwork tools, what does this say about the population and budget of American home-based woodworkers? And the present/future market for the Shopsmith tool? (I want Shopsmith to stick around - because I own one.)

There is one market for cheap tools and another market for high-end. A single tool cannot profitably sell in both. Which market is Shopsmith in?

Shopsmith shipping cost. If Shopsmiths were sold as u-build-it kits, that may help to "spread out" and maybe reduce total ownership cost. "Build a complete Shopsmith, one kit at a time!" Don't ship the long tubes, buy them from local metal sources, save the shipping cost.

Could a Shopsmith headstock be assembled from parts by the "average" end user? And still work?

Would a kit Shopsmith shift the safety liability ($) off the company and onto the end-user?
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

SS is to an extent already in the fabricate/assemble yerself arena.(upgrades etc.)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, I have to agree with JPG. I already thought that Shopsmith was a bit of an Erector set for the new owner anyway...then when the PP gets Gremlins you have to be able to do electronics debug so fun if you love that sort of thing like I do. ;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love high quality tools, not just woodworking specific. When form and function come together it amplifies whatever passion I have for that hobby. Lie-Nielsen produces beautiful, high quality tools. I have a slightly greater affinity for Veritas over them, but really both are top-notch IMHO. Veritas is of course Canadian and so is Jessem. Two of my favorite woodworking tool companies. :D Hey, at least they are in North America...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Great video! But what I would like to see is the things not shown, like how they fix the dropped part, part that is out of tolerance, the oops part. I would also feel better if so many of the polishing steps were not done by humans but rather machines. Precision in handcrafted is only as good as the hand craftsman, we all know people have off days.
However after watching this video I understand why the tools cost what they do. Which makes me wonder what came first the price or need for that step?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I see the polishing as more suited to human implementation since the purpose is primarily ornamental.

Now what i observed was functional dimensioning and grinding WAS done with machines.

Close fit tweaking again best done manually.

Regardless it was interesting especially showing a current foundry existing in the USA.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

The points about scrap-parts etc. remind me: My Dad many years ago had dealings with a gent in Mt. Carmel, Illinois, which in those days had a Snap-On Tools foundry. This gent's job including taking any defective wrenches to a site where they were buried in concrete!
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

nuhobby wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:55 am The points about scrap-parts etc. remind me: My Dad many years ago had dealings with a gent in Mt. Carmel, Illinois, which in those days had a Snap-On Tools foundry. This gent's job including taking any defective wrenches to a site where they were buried in concrete!
Yeah, these things are hard to understand, but presumably that was so that the company could get the tax write-off from the defective products. Definitely a few stories around of stockpiles of video tapes or rare video games that were dumped in a landfill for this reason. Then years later someone comes along and does archaeology to try to find that rare video game (one Atari example I know of) that got buried so the company could report it as a loss on their taxes.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

nuhobby wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:55 am The points about scrap-parts etc. remind me: My Dad many years ago had dealings with a gent in Mt. Carmel, Illinois, which in those days had a Snap-On Tools foundry. This gent's job including taking any defective wrenches to a site where they were buried in concrete!
Wouldn't a foundry just melt down the defective parts? I understand a lot of stuff would get buried like those Atari games RFGuy mentioned, but it's not like they could be easily re-used. Although maybe there was a tiny bit of gold on in the components, but they really wanted those awful games to go away.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER