Large sheet material

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

oso2you
Gold Member

Large sheet material

Post by oso2you »

I have read several comments here re: the SS difficulty cutting large sheets, e.g. 4x8 plywood. Why would anyone try to cut something so large? I don't even do this on my cabinet saw, although I could with a proper outfeed table. I think it is too dangerous. I have always planned my projects out and had the local big box or hardware store make a cut or two for me. Often no charge. Then it is not a problem on my SS. I can use a circular saw too if need be to get smaller sizes but this often means doing it on the shop floor and getting up from my hands and knees is no fun anymore at my age :) Just wonder how many routinely work with large sheet material and what tricks you may have learned over the years to do so safely.
SS 520, SS band saw. Grizzly cabinet saw, jointer, drill press,14" bandsaw, belt/disc sander. Delta 13" planer. Hitachi router in router table. Old Craftsman radial arm saw.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Re: Large sheet material

Post by roy_okc »

Although my need to cut full size sheet goods has been infrequent in the past, I've been using tracksaw setups for quite a few years. First Eurekazone's system, with a couple of circular saws with added bases for the track, and more recently a Makita battery tracksaw on Festool rails; former bought new, latter at an estate sale.

I wrestled a full sheet once, can't remember if 1/2" or 3/4", a couple decades ago, through a Ryobi BT3000 tablesaw and this was one time too many. I wouldn't even consider it on a Shopsmith. My one time getting the big box store to rip a sheet in half resulted in a diagonal, rather than perpendicular, cut that was around 3/8" off; thankfully, it didn't matter for the project, but showed I couldn't rely on that to get semi-accurate cuts.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I can probably say that the number of times I cut a full sheet of plywood on my Mark V could be counted on one hand. I never felt safe doing this. I switched to using my circular saw and a straight edge, but once I purchased a tracksaw it became effortless to break down sheet goods in my shop. Today tracksaws are fairly affordable so I strongly encourage ALL woodworkers to get one for processing sheet goods, or as you mention to have them broken down at the big box store. IF you want to attempt sheet goods on your Mark V, I highly recommend double-checking your blade-to-fence alignment first, using some type of hold down like the Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides to minimize kickback and ample table support similar to what is shown below. Good luck!

viewtopic.php?p=255807#p255807
InfeedOutfeed.jpg
InfeedOutfeed.jpg (88.42 KiB) Viewed 670 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have a shop built outfeed table (detailed elsewhere on the forum) that I have used for years. Using it to assist, I have cut many full sheets of plywood on the Shopsmith. It is precarious to say the least if one does not pay close attention to the task at hand but it is very possible. I have had not a single indident doing this.

I have ceased doing so though because I am no longer capable of "controlling" a full sheet. Control is the issue. You must maintain "full control" of the materials to do this task safely.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IF utilizing a big box store to cut down a 4x8 sheet, beware that the cuts will not be accurate(not scuare, not correct dimension . . .).

No employee is allowed to set up either the panel saw or the cut off saw.

Allow for final cutting to size. . .
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:18 am IF utilizing a big box store to cut down a 4x8 sheet, beware that the cuts will not be accurate(not scuare, not correct dimension . . .).

No employee is allowed to set up either the panel saw or the cut off saw.

Allow for final cutting to size. . .
Maybe true in some Box Stores but not everywhere. This may also be the case with some of the service people while not with others.

The point I want to make is that you cannot lump all box stores together. Some are much more service oriented than others. I, fortunately, have a Lowes here that is fantastic.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

There are alternatives to big box stores as well. For example, where I live we have Woodworkers Source (https://www.woodworkerssource.com/), a kind of retail lumberyard might be the best description. They have a nice cabinet TS in the back and do any cutting you might require on sheet goods or lumber. Definitely better quality tools and more knowledgeable staff to handle any pre-sizing you might need. I don't know if they charge for this or not, but I do know it is available. For example, I get my Baltic Birch plywood from them. I order whole sheets, but if I needed them sized down for me for a particular project they could easily do this and with much better accuracy than a big box store.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yes my comments were mainly regarding my local Home Depot(s).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

My experience of having big box cut sheets has always been a disaster, between misalignment, unknowledgable operators and terrible tear out I never have it done anymore. I often crosscut sheets using my tailgate and a circular saw in the big box parking lot. Also have a 2” 4x8 sheet of foam I put on saw horses slide a full sheet of ply on it and using track saw I can it to final size. Cutting full size sheet of sheet goods is a young man’s sport. You have to be able to fully support the sheet yourself and know what you are doing. Most production shops now use panel saws or track saws. Many do not even have table saws due to insurance situations. And all that do have table saws that I know of use power feeders or huge sliding tables. None cut sheet goods on them.
In the good ole days having a table saw that was large enough to rip a sheet of ply in half was the thing to have most had fences that went out to 26 rip width. Then guys went nuts and some even have 52 inch rip width. Amateurs! Nuts!
Get a track saw, foam and saw horses! Be a pro!
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

oso2you wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:05 am I have read several comments here re: the SS difficulty cutting large sheets, e.g. 4x8 plywood. Why would anyone try to cut something so large? I don't even do this on my cabinet saw, although I could with a proper outfeed table. I think it is too dangerous. I have always planned my projects out and had the local big box or hardware store make a cut or two for me. Often no charge. Then it is not a problem on my SS. I can use a circular saw too if need be to get smaller sizes but this often means doing it on the shop floor and getting up from my hands and knees is no fun anymore at my age :) Just wonder how many routinely work with large sheet material and what tricks you may have learned over the years to do so safely.
I accept that a track saw is the best way to do this for most woodworkers but I don't have one and consider them to be fairly expensive for a good one. My preferred supplier doesn't cut plywood but has an impressive selection. I don't consider it at all dangerous to cut sheets on a table saw, including a Mark, though it is inconvenient and the setups take time. I get a better quality of cut with the TS than with a handheld circular saw, meaning my cuts are more parallel to the 'factory edges' with the TS. But it is also very awkward handling full size sheet goods without help and I'm likely to use a circular saw for a first oversize cut or two that I'll clean up on the Mark.
Tricks, or lessons learned:
I use infeed and outfeed extensions as needed for the cut I'm making. Usually with the brackets that allow the extension to be in line with the main.
I use JessEm stock guides when using the fence.
I use a shop made two-piece fence extension with my 520 fence. Mine are made from two 510 fence extrusions that attach to the fence face with T-Nuts.

- David