How to lubricate when there are no holes for lubrication.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SplintersNmeoveralls
Silver Member

How to lubricate when there are no holes for lubrication.

Post by SplintersNmeoveralls »

Hello All,
I have the Woodmaster 7 in 1 1981 Version of the shop smith 7-1.
It came with a green manual that states to turn on and set speed dial to Route-Shape first then turn off. Remove the name plate on back of headstock, hand turn spindle until a hole can be seen in the shaft. Add 3 drops of oil. No hole.
Also states there are holes in the motor shaft under the spring. Nope! Not there either. A 1 1/2" tube extends as a sleeve over shaft then both are surrounded by a spring. I'm supposed to hand turn spindle until the hole is exposed, but there isnt a hole.
I could get some oil in between the sleeve and shaft that extends from inside of spring but that may just make a mess.
I need to get this thing lubricated so I don't seize it or its parts.
PLS help!
Attachments
3.pdf
(931.13 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
image_6487327.JPG.pdf
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
spring.pdf
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 32 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: How to lubricate when there are no holes for lubrication.

Post by DLB »

Welcome to the forum. Assuming similarity to a Shopsmith... The lubrication holes are in the moving sheaves for speed control. Those are the Control Sheave on the Idler Shaft and the Floating Sheave (with spring) on the motor shaft. Early Mark 5s also lacked these holes. (In the 50's.) The easiest way to lubricate them if the speed control is working right is to put a little oil on the shafts and then manipulate the speed control, causing the sheaves to move and distribute the oil. Small applications, then turn the motor off and repeat.

If the speed control is not working right, that won't work because it won't distribute the oil. Disassembly, cleaning of the shafts, and lubrication is needed. In this case, it is possible to add the holes to the moving sheaves while they are off the shaft, making it easier next time.

I'm not familiar with your machine, but believe it to be one of several clones of the Shopsmith line. The above would apply if it is similar and lacks the lubrication holes. I was not able to view all of your pictures, we generally encourage users to add them as .jpg files or similar, which can show up in the thread, rather than .pdf.

- David
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

Attachments
Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 7.49.16 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 7.49.16 PM.png (591.93 KiB) Viewed 444 times
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

I believe the phot showing the second lubrication point was taken by dusty

Here is a video showing how to lubricate the Shopsmith
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPOfNdYM8j0
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 7.55.40 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 7.55.40 PM.png (351.45 KiB) Viewed 443 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

benmcn wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:57 pm I believe the phot showing the second lubrication point was taken by dusty

Here is a video showing how to lubricate the Shopsmith
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPOfNdYM8j0
Nope. I do not believe that image was mine. Good shot though. Thanks for posting it again.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

SplintersNmeoveralls,

Good information from the posts already made on how to lubricate a Shopsmith Mark 5/V. This may not apply to Shopsmith Clones. As David said the Sheaves on both the Motor Shaft and Idler Shaft can be lubricated without having the holes to put the oil directly into. Not the most desirable way to do it.

In your posts here and other threads you said
I have the Woodmaster 7 in 1 1981 Version of the shop smith 7-1.
It came with a green manual that states to turn on and set speed dial to Route-Shape first then turn off. Remove the name plate on back of headstock, hand turn spindle until a hole can be seen in the shaft. Add 3 drops of oil. No hole.
Is the green manual you say you have one for the Woodmaster or is it a Shopsmith Manual? Like the others I am not familiar with the Woodmaster Shopsmith Clone. If the manual is for the Woodmaster and you don't have the holes in the Motor and Idler Shafts for lubricating, I suspect the makers of the Woodmaster may have copied their manual from the Shopsmith Manual neglecting to edit it for differences.

Referring to your pictures the first labeled 3.pdf you have circled a hole in the Idler Shaft Eccentric which on a Shopsmith is for a screw to retain the Idler Shaft Bearing and is not an oil hole. In your second picture the oil hole would be on the shaft that the left arrow is pointing to. If fully rotated and no hole is found you can try oiling it as suggested by David or remove the Idler Assembly to oil it and add a oil hole for future maintenance. For the third picture spring.pdf refer to the picture benmcn posted of a Mark 5/V Motor Shaft oil hole location.

If you do decide to add oil holes to the Sheaves of the Motor and Idler Shafts make sure to remove any burrs from drilling on the inside bore of the Sheaves so they will slide smoothly on their shafts. When removing the Sheave from the Motor Shaft care must be taken when removing the spring.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
SplintersNmeoveralls
Silver Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you...
SplintersNmeoveralls
Silver Member

Wow!

I am impressed with your post management. You got to this post rather quickly and your pictures where spot on save for the lube hole that I don't have on the Control Sheave on the Idler Shaft and the Floating Sheave.
I did find it hard to hand turn the control sheave. The very first turn was easy but after that it wasn't. I am going to have to take this apart to add the holes for future lubrication. However; I am unclear of this process. Are there any videos or pictures on how to disassemble? I really think you know your stuff and would trust your guidance. Your actually the first site manager that made it match to what I have.
Great job!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You posting pix of what you have will be necessary. None of us has ever been inside a woodmaster. Your parts appear similar to the shopsmith parts, but there are likely differences other than the missing holes.

BTW we love 'mysteries'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

Here is a video by Scott Markwood / mygrowthrings on oiling a shopsmith without the holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQSGbudXUWk

You might find some of the headstock tear down videos by Jacob Anderson helpful should you choose to remove the sheave and add a lubrication hole. These videos are shopsmith specific but I imagine the process will be similar.

https://jacobvb.wordpress.com/youtube-videos-2/