Removing sanding drums

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bruce
Platinum Member

Removing sanding drums

Post by Bruce »

I have the 2 1/4" drum sanding kit for SS. I hadn't used it for a number of years. When I used it the other day, I noticed the sanding drums are very snug to put on, even with the expansion nut loose. It is therefore impossible to remove the drum without destroying it. Is there a way to lubricate the drums to make them come off easy without making them slip when using them? Do I just need to purchase new drums since these are probably 20 years old? :) Yes, that's right, 20 years.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

You sure should be able to use your sanding drum at only 20 years old, mine is going to be 31 this summer and going strong.

You can take the bolt out and the ends come off the rubber drum. If that is not enough to slip it off let it soak in some warm soapy water until either the sand paper comes apart or slips off.

I got a used one off ebay last summer and had a different problem, the rubber was hard.... you put the sleeve on and it would slip, either the sleeve on the rubber or the rubber on the hardware. The guy I got it from was a regular seller and was kind enough to let me exchange for a new one with a box of spare sleeves thrown in for my trouble. I have no idea how old that one was or how it was stored/treated but it had out lived itself.

Ed
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Another suggestion I had read about somewhere was to put the drum in the freezer for a while. The rubber will contract and the sleeve should come off easily. However don't take my word as gospel, I never tried it.

Have Fun

John
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Shucks, Ed! About half way through your last post I was ready to ask if you tried spray silicon on the rubber.

When in MT. we used a lot of talcom powder to apply to the rubber on our car doors to prevent freezing ice, which could "lock" (freeze) your doors closed. When spray silicon came out we all switched to it instead of talcom. I still use spray silicon on many rubber surfaces just to keep them pliable. Don't know if it would soften up an already hardened plug like the one you bought, but I'd try it!

Incidentally - Silicone is used during my mainence schedule to clean my bandsaw tires. The rubber tires are still good and there is no need to even think about replacing them. (10 yrs) Maybe that's a good record - maybe it is just normal. I don't know. Just fact!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Good point on the Silicone.... No I didn't try it, I didn't want to do to much since he agreed to take it back. I know it keeps the rubber soft but I don't think it would have saved this part.

Ed
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try the silicone before freezing it. :)