Returning the E-clip to bandsaw

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SplintersNmeoveralls
Silver Member

Returning the E-clip to bandsaw

Post by SplintersNmeoveralls »

I am so glad I found this site.

Has anyone had to take off the e-clip that's on the upper wheel. I needed to lube that part
and I can't get the e-clip back on. I've tried to stretch it apart with needle nose and it just sent it across my shop.
I then tied a tread to it as a leash, but I can't get that clip back on...
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Returning the E-clip to bandsaw

Post by edma194 »

I've done it. Perhaps the wheel is not all the way onto the shaft or askew so the exposed groove is not wide enough to seat the clip.

Looking at the parts diagram I see the E-clip is seated against a fiber washer, that could also be the problem.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

Here is video on repairing the bandsaw by Jacob Anderson (this is a complete tear down and rebuild)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFBeGfdiIak

And here is one by Scott Markwood/ mygrowthrings where he showing some basic maintenance on the bandsaw. The bandsaw he is working on has the eclip (reassembly around the 18 minute mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1YPHGeYYC8
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have had the E Clip or Retaining Ring on older Magna/Shopsmith Bandsaws off many times. As suggested already there may be one of several reasons you are not able to get the E Clip back on. First I would check the E Clip without the Upper Wheel in place to see if the E Clip may be too wide for the groove in the axle. Is it the correct size E Clip or has it been replaced at some point. Maybe a slightly smaller (diameter) or thicker size E Clip. The E Clip should snap into place but no longer be expanded when seated. With all the parts in place can you see the whole width of the groove? If not, maybe the Fiber Washer has swollen a bit not allowing the E Clip to go on. Remember the only parts that go on the axle is first the Upper Wheel Assembly followed by the Fiber Washer and the Retaining Ring or in this case the E Clip.

For others reading this thread, parts lists have had this as a Retaining Ring or External Retaining Ring (currently) and have been two different retainers. Early Bandsaws had a 1-1/2 circle spiral Retaining Ring while more recent and current Bandsaws use an E Clip. Those older Bandsaws also had a flat spot on the axle to be able to reach under the spiral Retaining Ring to help in removing it. I am not sure when the change from the original Retaining Ring to the E Clip occurred. A December 1985 Bandsaw I restored (and resold) still had the flat spot on the axle as do all the earlier Bandsaws I have owned but my 1998 and 2006 Bandsaws no longer have the flat spot on the axle and use E Clips.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.